Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 58 Chevy Turbo 350 conversion. I have questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oddrod46, Nov 16, 2020.

1. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

I have a 58 Biscayne with a Saginaw 4 speed manual trans.
    I am going to have it converted to a Turbo 350 automatic, with Lokar floor shifter.
    WillI have to change the crossmember?
    Only finding crossmember kits fors 700 R4.

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Trans mount is in the same place, and as long as it's the "short" TH-350, it's the same length as the bell-housing/Saginaw trans, and even uses the same slip yoke. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

oddrod46 likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Short being that the tailshaft extension housing is 6 inches long and the total trans length is 28-1/4.

You need a flex plate with the same ring gear tooth count as the ring gear on the flywheel..

If you don't have the car on a hoist and are laying under it, be careful as all get out when you pop that flywheel off the back of the engine. Those ring gear teeth on that 40 something lb unit love to eat flesh that they land on top of. I've gotten in the habit of sticking a clutch lineup shaft in the pilot bushing to catch it in case it does drop. That keeps it from landing on your head or arm.

The biggest pain in the butt on the whole job is bending up a pair of cooler lines that look presentable and clear everything. The actual trans swap is pretty easy.

oddrod46 likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

very simple reason for only finding 700 crossmember kits...you don't need one for the 350.