Register now to get rid of these ads!

58 chevy score!!!!! just gotta get her home!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old soul, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Agreed, the two speed PowerGlide was missing a "first" gear, not a "high" gear. They cruised all day long at 80 and never looked back.

Here's hoping it's as sweet as it looks!!!

So, I was scrutinizing the one pic of the engine bay and noticed a few things that make me think it's a newer/swapped motor. Long water pump and brackets, aftermarket valve covers that certainly don't have staggered bolts, pcv. Just curious what motor is in the car. The power pack marking on the end of the head means they are no later than '67, but the block could be anything.

2. Mart

Mart

A 2 speed isn't like driving a 4 speed in 2nd... 2nd is 1:1 like any non-od box.

Mart.

3. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

They say the motor is a 283. We want to be there in person to look over the car. Befor we fork over the rest of the cash. If it turns out to be a bondo buggy. We will turn around and go home. We are going to trailer it. We are in a hurry this weekend and dont want to screw around.

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Never try to drive an unknown vehicle more than across town, no matter how sweet it seems, or what the seller told you. Trailer it. U-haul and Budget car trailers should be more than enough. As to your fuel mileage comment - wait till you see what that F-150 gets pulling that big old car and that trailer - it won't be joyous.

Stay safe - and that's a very good-looking 1958 Chev.

5. gibby64

gibby64
    from East Texas

I pulled my '58 on a u-haul trailer from phoenix to east texas... i can confirm that it will fit and pull just fine.

6. deto

deto

58 chevy's are awesome and totally under appreciated. nice score...

7. WRONG!!! It has been done many times on the HAMB. I myself did it in 2010 I bought a '56 Ford and drove it from Regina, Saskatchewan to San Jose, California. It CAN be done. Just bring along a tool box, some fluids, and a couple spare parts. Good thing is the car has an SBC so parts shouldn't be to bad getting back.

Drive the F150 down there and drive both back. Fuck by the time you rent the U-Haul and pay all their fees and shit.

8. marty1835

marty1835
    from webster ny

loaded my 46 Chevy Stylemaster on a UHaul trailer from Long Island to Rochester NY and pulled it home with an Expidition. Fit perfect trailer was cheap (picked up the trailer on LI). Could not have worked out better! Good Luck!

9. Isn't a winning bid a contract to buy, not a right of first refusal once you've seen it?

10. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

Picking up two 1950's chevy's this weekend and using u-haul car haulers. Hauled vehicles on those car haulers for years and never had any issues with them.

11. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

When you've done that successfully a dozen times, then you may call WRONG. I've stopped to help all kinds of folks that purchased a car at a swap meet and elected to drive it home. By the time they pay for the needed parts/repairs and lost time - a trailer rental seems like a good idea.

And - thanks for dropping the gratuitously and ignorant F-bomb for no particular reason. Helps me assess your outlook and communication skills.

dj

12. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

if the car is not as nice as the seller descirbed. It will be staying there. Trust me.

13. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

Is he keeping the $ you already sent for his time?

14. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

i WOULD NOT FINNISH PAYING FOR A BONDO BUGGY WITH THE FLOORS HANGING WITH A KNOCKEN MOTOR.

15. For sure there will be little things that go wrong here and there that is the fun of having an old car. Shit happens. You just got to fix it and keep moving that is the whole fun of the hobby. If it was easy everyone would have an old car. And because I say the f-word once in a post in the INTERNET does not help you "asses my outlook and communication skills" I could be one of the dumbest people around or I could be an intelligent intellectual, you can't just assume you know everything about someone from a post on the Internet.

16. Muttley

Muttley

Nice score. The first step is to take those plug wires and throw them in the nearest dumpster. What would possess anyone to buy that color?

17. Maybe you should have had someone look at the car before you bid? This is the exact reason I don't deal with that site..... and I was a member there since '99.
    You're bragging and excited about the win.... but may not bring it home? Maybe you should have held off on the post until you decided it was acceptable, then we could have all been happy for you...... rather than irritated. At least me.

18. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Ill look at it myself when I get there!! For your info im not bragging about anything. I was sharing what im doing. Ive been doing this along time. I usually dont have a problem with the things I buy on that site. But once in awhile it does happen. You might be on to somthing maybe I shouldent have shared this. I wont let that happen again. For all you guys that were helpfull. THANK YOU!!!! and I did get a u-haul trailer round trip for 54 bucks for 24 hrs.

And im just kidding about not sharing anything else im just venting. Theres to many nice cool people around here that are helpfull. Sorry if I have misspelled somthing.

19. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

And say I drove all the way down there and the car was a complete pyle of poop. Wouldent you guys like to hear about it to know to stay away from it????

20. You're sorry you may have misspelled, I'm sorry I responded in the first place. Was obviously a waste of time.
    Good luck with the "potential" purchase. Great to know you got a trailer for $54.
    Hope the car is all you thought it was.

21. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Some people Ill tell ya

22. My thoughts exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself. Thank-you.

Good luck with the car.

23. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

I don't blame you.... Your opinion and his opinion might be different how good of shape the cars in... The problem these days is it seems some people know how to work the camera around the bad shit... This seems to be happening a lot lately good luck to you and drive safe.. If its a pile of shit leave it sit evilbay is not what it use to be.

24. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Look man. I dont know who you are. Im not looking to fight with any one. I just think maybe I worded somthing wrong and you may have took it wrong. I was just showing pics of a car that my father inlaw bought on e-pay. I was just saying. If the car isnt what the buyer said. We would just get in the truck and go home. Im sure thats not the case. But if it were thats what id do. So other then that. This is the car my father inlaw bought and was asking questions about a uhaul trailer. Thats all. Im not mad at you. I just think you might have took somthing wrong.

25. rockfish

rockfish

Don't understand why Al T is coming down on you. It seems reasonable that if the car turns out not to be as described that it is the seller that is violating your "contract" to purchase. Write off your deposit as the cost of doing business and walk away from the car. Nothing dishonest or deceptive about that.
    Looks like a nice car by the way. Enjoy the trip and good luck.

26. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Well thank you mr.rock fish

27. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw the pics and thought that it might be the car I owned about 15 years ago, but, the interior is different and mine had a stock 283 two barrel & powerglide. It would cruise 70 MPH all day. Kinda miss it.

28. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

They could have done the interior and popped a fresh motor in her

29. i would see if anyone needs a vehicle moved that direction to help defray the fuel and rental costs plus maybe help a fellow hamber out. cool ride if it passes inspection.

30. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Hi Old Soul.Best to you on the 58.Looks really good in the pics.Hope all goes well.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo