Register now to get rid of these ads!

58 chev- v8 conversion help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rare32, May 6, 2009.

1. rare32

rare32

hi all, I have just arranged to swap my 72 GMC for a 58 chev, it has a blueflame 6 and later model 3 speed manual box. I'd like to get a SBC into it.
    Is there a possibility I will be able to keep the existing box?
    it supposed to be a 70's era 3 speed muncie, will I need a different bell housing?

here's a pic.....

Attached Files:

2. is that a uted 58 chev?sweet. I believe it should work ok i have a v8 chev manual bell housing clutch and flywheel if you need

3. 41woodie

41woodie

Sorry I'm not answering your question but is that a factory "Ute", never seen a 58 "El Camino" before.

4. definatley not factory, but cool as hell

5. henry29

henry29

Should be no reason why it wouldn't work.

Is that factory? I've never seen one of those before.

6. rare32

rare32

I guess I should give a history on the car.
    It is actually a cut down hearse. I believe it was converted to a hearse in Adelaide from a sedan from new. A friend of mine found it in a country town in Western Australia (1000m from here) so he went there and drove it back many years ago
    The roof was unfortunetly stuffed so he and another friend decided to make an 'El Camino'.
    It is also factory right hand drive.
    They have done a great job on it, chassis off resto/custom. Disc brakes, power steer etc.
    Apart from a couple of runs in the paint the body is excellent. The rear section needs some panels made to tidy it up, and there is a good chance I will put wide whites and some 59 lancer caps on it (I havent used them on my 57 buick yet, so why not)

moon.dog, would definatelly be interested in the bell housing etc, probaly cheaper than an auto conversion by using the existing box

7. squirrel

squirrel

The transmission should fit the V8 bellhousing (yes, you'll need a different bellhousing, the Blue Flame 235 is quite different from the later model six and the V8s).

Be careful about the size of the center hole in the bellhousing, make sure it matches the outside diameter of the front bearing retainer on the transmission--car stuff was all the same, but Chevy trucks had bigger ones by about 1/4" starting in the late 60s.

8. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

That's as good as an answer gets!

Nice looking Ute!

9. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

'58 Chevy Ute???? I want it. :D

10. rainman1958

rainman1958

If you get a chance please put more pics on I am ahuge fan of 58's myself.

11. rare32

rare32

many thanks guys.
    I will post some pics once I pick it up later today/tomorrow
    Alan

12. Solidaxel

Solidaxel

You will need to change the motor mounts on the X-member to V-8.
    Pay close attention to the clutch linkage and fork and ball stud for what ever bellhousing you end up with. Squirrel nailed it with the size of the bearing retainer. Make sure the transmission stays in the same mounting location on the rear X-member, so you do not have to mess with the drive shaft. The new Motor mounts should correct this placement.