Register now to get rid of these ads!

58 Cad remote oil filter & PCV setup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barrelnose pickup, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Any thoughts ,suggestions on mounting the partial flow oil filter on the firewall rather than the front of the motor close to the ports?I know it should be mounted up front but is running longer lines going to be a problem by your experience?
    Also how would you suggest setting up the PCV system using a finned valley and rocker covers.I am mounting breathers on the rocker covers but won't be running a draft tube.
    Any suggestions/advice appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I'll start by saying mine is still in the original location, but I've looked at length into moving it. Frankly, from what I've read I'm not sure it's really worth even keeping the filter. That style filter only actually cleans about 20% of the oil (at best according to what I've read). Lots of folks just bypass it all together and increase the frequency of the oil changes to every 1500 miles or so.

can't speak to the pcv issue--haven't dealt with it yet--curious to see what you come up with.

4. Beginning in '57 (I believe that's correct) some cars were equipped w a pcv setup for delivery to states like Cali. The road draft tube was replaced by a cap with a nipple on it facing towards the front of the engine. The emissions hose ran under the intake and then turned up and over the front of the intake into the valve and then another short piece of hose connected the valve to a "special" carb spacer with a nipple on it. the spacers are still available new...kinda pricey. You could drill and tap an aluminum spacer though cheaply and do the same thing. Very early 62 models had a piece of tubing that was simply epoxied into the carb spacer with a threaded nut on the outer end, they used a valve that was threaded on one end with a nipple on the inlet side. These type valves are still available also.

5. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

good info hubnut. were those motors vented additionally or was the pcv fitting enough?

6. Cant say for certain if it was enough but it was certainly all that they had lol, no additional venting. The last couple I tore down were pretty clean inside, they had obviously been maintained and the stock setups seemed to have worked well. Those original style spacers run about 150. Ive priced shopped em from several suppliers and that's about the same going rate at each of them, but the aluminum ones would be easy enough to adapt with a lil creativity. From '63-on the pcv setups got a tiny bit more common so check those too for parts, esp the road draft cap, although it would be easy to modify a stock tube also.

7. Thanks for the replies,I have since been talking to a mate and regarding the PCV I am just going to face an area at the rear of my valley cover,drill and fit a rubber grommet to take a PCV valve and make a plate to attach under the valley cover as per an original valley cover so the valve only draws air/fumes rather than the possibility of drawing oil up also, then drill and tap my intake to take a fitting for a hose to draw from.I will make up a new filler/breather tube without the fuel pump mount and it will draw air from there as per standard.This way I won't need to run breathers on my rocker covers.This should work I reckon.
    The verdict is still out on the partial flow filter but I am still inclined to run it as the extra oil in circulation would still be a benefit to the system,hopefully it will be okay mounted on the firewall running a larger diameter tube/pipe even if I have to dump the oil back into the motor somewhere at the rear of the motor.Trail and error with this I reckon, keeping an oil pressure gauge in the system to see how it goes.I see the inlet brass fitting on the filter is used as an oriface to keep the oil pressure up.
    Once again,thanks for the input.