Register now to get rid of these ads!

58-64 chevy guys, couple of steering and suspension w&a

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zodiac matt, Sep 11, 2008.

1. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

im looking to lower my bel air atleast 2" or as much as i can.

for the front i found 2" and 3" lowering coils
    i think i have seen 2" drop spindles before, anyone got a link?

if i was to use just the 2 or 3 coils, would i be able to align the car correctly, or do i also need the spindles?

can i use the coils and the spindles combined?

the rear is getting 3" coils, were can i find shocks to match? (front shocks too)

thanks, Zodiac Matt

2. squirrel

squirrel

I would use one or the (spindles or springs) other...not both....if you need to drop it a little bit after adding the spindles, you could trim part of a coil off the springs.

Drop spindles will be for use with disc brakes.

3. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

so 3 inch coils will be fine? i will still be able to have enough room to set the alignment right?

just wanna make sure before i order the time and my instructor lets me use the lift at my college

4. squirrel

squirrel

Might need to get some offset upper control arm shafts? I had to do that after cutting the springs in my 55 down about 2-3 inches. Look and see how many shims there are in it, if it's about out of shims then you probably won't get the camber out without the offset shafts.

5. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

has anyone here personally lowered a 58-64 chevy 2 or 3 inches?

6. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

When I first lowered my '62 I cut 2 full coils off the front and the back (about 3-4 inches). On the front I had 205/65 r 15 on a 6" wheel which cleared fine and aligned fine, 275/60 r15 on the rear. Your results may vary, these cars are all over the place with frame and suspension tolerance.

Now I have air bags and 2" spindles (Superior Spindle-> excellent fit, which are the second set; the first were FATMAN's and were a pain in the ass). I have no alignment issues with the bags on it and I do not have offset A arm shafts, rocker/front fender seam is 4 3/4" off the ground.

I believe someone (Classic Industries maybe?) is making a drop spindle which can be used with disc OR drum brakes, if you wanted to keep the drum brakes.

Marty McFly

7. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

thanks for the info, if i read correct, you were 3 inches lower, with stock spindles, had no alignment, casetor, or camber issues?

did you have to have an alignment?

what did you do for shocks?

8. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

9. You will be fine with a 3" drop using either/both methods. Car will align fine unless your crossmember has sagged a lot.

10. slammed

slammed

Just had mine ('61) alin'd w/ a heavy 4" (dropped A-arm's-2", and 2" coil's) it made the cut. W/ 2-3" coil's you should be fine. If you go w/ the dropped spindle's, the stock shock's will not have to be shorter. But the coversion to disk's will be $. The choice's are many. It's up to your pocket book and or talent's w/ a wrench!

11. Your should have no problem getting aligned after lowering it that amount, unless you have worn parts (bushings, balljoints)

12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Lowered mine via 1 1/2 cut coils, fronts and rears...alignment not a problem... handles better, too...

R-

[​IMG]

13. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Front shocks were 2wd S-10 shocks, I looked in a Monroe shock book and found a longer travel, able to be compressed further, shock. This application should work but do yourself a favor and verify the dimensions for yourself, you may even be able to find shock dimensions online.

The rears were stock, I seem to remember checking the travel with the rear springs out and seeing the stock shocks still had a little travel left when the rear end was bottomed out against the snubbers.

Marty McFly

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

15. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

wow, thanks guys!

so most people here agree/think that i will have no alignment problems with a 3" drop all around?

will i need new shocks?

while im under there should i do balljoints/tie rod ends and a new steering stabilizer?

like i said, all of this will be done at school in a couple hours, but since its my steering/suspension class he said i can also do other work related to that field

16. skunx1964

skunx1964

just watch yer exhaust, headers and a low xframe wont work. my headers are about 5 inches from the ground at rest. any lower and ill be tearin em up on bumps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. slammed

slammed

Shorter coil's up ft. will need shorter shock's. If ya have extra cash, and the origanal's look worn (know anyone that is a pro?) yes some ball joint's/tie rods would be a good idea. Cross rerference Monroe number's and you may find a # for the rear. Dr.J used a Monroe # (rear) for his early El Camino. PM him and see if can help.

18. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

throw ball joints in it just for the peace of mind if anything. Use Rock Auto for Moog or Spicer. Great vendor with great prices. Good luck!

19. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

thanks guys, if anyone has a link to the 4 shocks i need i would greatly appreciate it, also, im not worried about the exhaust, i have stock ram horn headers, and im gettng my exhuast done soon, the guy knows i plan on lowering the car

20. skunx1964

skunx1964

cool, thatll work, my motor isnt stock enough to run ramhorns, so headers it was.

21. hottweelz

hottweelz
    from So. Cal

22. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

jamco, your parts look very high quality, but also very very pricey, sorry man, i just cant afford that much for 2 shocks and 2 coils, but i do appreciate you letting me know about your site, do you sell the shocks seperatly? i did not see them

23. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

anyone got a part number for drop shocks?

24. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

bump for sunday cruise