Register now to get rid of these ads!

58/59 Chevy Apache Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheEngineer, Mar 25, 2013.

1. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

I apologize in advance for another "what's it worth" thread but I'm stuck.

Background: My wife came home and told me last week that a client of hers has some old trucks out behind his shop. They were talking about them and he said that he's not trying to sell them but if I like one I can make an offer. I told her that I don't need another truck and I don't need another project (especially with the impending furlough) but I'll go look. I also said that the only thing he might have that would interest me would be a complete 58/59 Chevy Apache (all time favorite truck). What are the odds that of all the trucks ever built that he'd have one, right? Wrong! He's got three 58/59 Chevys, a 56 and one from that time frame with the front disassembled. He's also got a pile of fenders and hoods for these trucks. All he has is the one truck that I said I couldn't pass up. From what I could see, there might be enough to put together two or three complete trucks.

The guy is in his 70s. Its clear that he has an affinity for this style of truck and he collected them for a reason. My wife says he'll never get around to getting any of them on the road because he doesn't have time. I don't want to insult him by low balling him (he's one of the few reasons my wife stays in business) so I'm stuck on what to offer him. Is it wrong to say: "Let me spend a day picking parts to make one good one and I'll give you X amount."? What's the going rate for one of these in non-running, rusted up condition.

Is there anything (good or bad) that I should keep a look out for when I'm trying to chose one? Is there enough support for these trucks to make a parts hunt easy once I've hauled it away?

2. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

I tried to load a picture but its not working. Standby while I try it from the laptop.

3. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

Here they are.

Attached Files:

4. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

He must have some idea what he wants for them if he has that many and all the parts, I would like to have them all by the sounds of it. I had a guy tell mw once he didnt know what he want for a car, i told him 100.00, of course he said no but it was a start, i ended up getting it for $1000.00

5. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

I would say there is easy $5000-6000 there assuming they arent running etc...

6. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

My wife said "get 'em all" also.

7. I paid $3k for mine.....truck started but needed brake and carb work as well as a correct intake for a 283. I've got some pics of it the day I bought it in my sinature/albums here on the H.A.M.B.

8. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

$2500.00 for all of them sounds about right to me...less than that if he doesn't have titles.

I recently bought a 58 for 800.00. It came with a great running Vette 283 and a 4 speed Muncie

9. Compton

Compton
    from Grimesland

Paid $900 for this one. No title; original drive train; was told it will run.

Made contact with title holder today and am making arrangements to have transferred.

Attached Files:

10. Sweet!!! You ended up getting it!

11. Assuming they do not run, but are complete with titles, they appear to be $800-1000-ish value each in my opinion if they are surface rust and not crunched up. The 56 is worth a little more, seems the dual headlight 58-59 are less desireable, although essentially the same trucks.

Try to make a package deal and you might end up with one good truck to build for free after selling off the remaining trucks and parts.

No title does not mean you can't do the deal, just lowers the value since you need to get bonded title and that will take approx $300 and some hassle.

12. Hi all!

How do I remove the glass from the vent window frame without taking the whole frame out of the vehicle?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. squirrel

squirrel

pull really hard on it!

There's a special tool, that some glass shops used to have. Probably hard to find these days. you can try prying carefully with a screwdriver, or tap gently on the frame with a hammer while holding the glass. But if the glass was put in with urethane adhesive instead of setting tape, you'll have a whole bunch of fun.

14. cavman

cavman

Try heating the frame with a heat gun, then pull....hard.

15. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

If I remember right, a glass shop advised using gasoline to soften the glass setting tape......However, that was almost 20 years ago.....