Register now to get rid of these ads!

'57 "Valvetrain Carnage" update w/pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T-Roy, May 6, 2008.

1. Here's the original "details" post: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247397&highlight=valvetrain+carnage

So now my motor's back together, running with a new cam & valvetrain, Thorley 311Y Headers (perfect fit and finish), an old Why-And intake manifold etc. I plan on using something else for the air cleaner, but this'll work for the time being...
    [​IMG]

The motor is now a 9.7:1 355. Comp XE 274 hyd cam, lifters and pushrods. Lunati valve springs, enlarged pushrod holes for use with the Comp Self Aligining roller tip rocker arms. It ought to have a little more poop with the increased compression and bigger cam to compliment the ported / polished 041X heads that were on the motor when I bought the car.

I found out that it's really a toss up when it comes to machine work on old heads. You can purchase a new set for @ $150 more than I put into these heads. Including my valve springs, I've got about $650 into these heads. $500 for the machine work, $150 for the springs. But, I know exactly what I have now after being into the motor.

I'll post a video once I get the cam broken in and the motor tuned...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. LabRat

LabRat

Cool , that should make it nice an crisp. thanks for postin prices an spec's .