Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 turnpike cruiser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60widewhitez, Dec 26, 2009.

1. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Check out this January 1957 'Popular Science'
    magazine write-up on the new '57 Mercury
    "Turnpike Cruiser".

Mart3406
    =============================

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  2. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I went with a group of fellow explorer scouts in one to Yellowstone park. We had these simple tents that hooked into the drip rails and then were pegged into the ground at the other end. We had a bear walk across us one night and tear the tent down:D That was back in the pate 50's

3. OHEKK

OHEKK

The summer of '65 ...My first car, at age 16, was a black 57 Turnpike cruiser!

I bought it from a neighbor for $10 because he said it wouldn't start.

I put a used battery in it and drove it for a year.

I recall that it had power everything: steering, brakes,seats, windows and even "power lubrication". Yes... the back window would raise and lower.

It had a 368 4BBl and indeed was a great cruiser.

to be honest, it was much too nice of a car for a 16 year old kid

I eventually smashed the front end and sold it to a guy who planned to fix it.

I often wonder if it's still around

4. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

In '57, you could have even gotten one of 90
    free ones....at least according to this March
    1957 Mercury ad!!!

Mart3406
    =============================

Attached Files:

5. I had a 58 pink with black and white inside, 383 type righter trans slow in town but what a car on I-5 with pipes you could hear a mile away

6. edselfish

edselfish

ive had my 57 turnpike 4 door hardtop for 2 years or so.imported it out of LA.really nice and solid car.not fully loaded but still quite an amazing car compared to many others i have owned.the 2 "antennas" on the windscreen corners actually dont do anything!!! but just like so many areas on the car - it just looks pretty cool.as far as driving it - it really is a boat but it makes you a much better driver because you have to look out for everything and everyone else.
    edselfish.

Attached Files:

7. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Jack Bishop's rendition of a "Cruiser Merc" Drawn back in the the 80's or 90's.

Attached Files:

8. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

I found another turnpike cruiser as I did not get the first one. This one is yellow and white.. I will keep you posted..

9. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

So here is the deal. I spoke to the guy who owns the car in my avatar and he's agreed to hold it for me til next summer!! I can't wait to post some pix of me with my shit eating grin cruising this barge down I-75....

10. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

I have a '57 Monterey 4 door that yard drives well. However I need to get new shocks and brakes and stuff. Having parking issues with it being push button drive. As cool as it is, beware....if it's been sitting around a long time, make sure that Merc properly goes into park. It'll either be an issue with the cables going into the tranny, or it will be inside the tranny itself, in which case you drop the pan and drain the fluid and you should be able to get to it right there. I'm a LEARNING mechanic...I'm going by what I've been told, and I'm having a buddy of mine fix it for next Spring so I can do the rest of the work to get it on the road next Summer.

I would do it right and get it overhauled or just get that parking mechanism repaired if it doesn't work, an E-brake is just a bandaid and you can never really depend on it 100%. You don't want the car to roll away and crash into something, I've seen that very thing happen with one rolling off a trailer at Lead East and crashing into 2 other kustoms....

But GOOD LUCK!!! Sounds like you'll have an interesting project on your hands. They're a very unique car, and it's in your heart so go with it. If it's worth the work and cost, and you are aware how difficult/expensive it is to get parts for, then proceed! Happy motoring!!

11. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

The parking mechanism has the same issue. My friend owns one and he said it would not be a big deal to fix.. Let me know how yours works out.. Glad you are keeping it!!

Rick

12. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

13. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

I love all the 50's Mercs! that turnpike in your avatar is gorgeous,CLASSY!

14. Evidently this one has the same problem with the parking mechanism, as it's been parked a loooong time and has rolled into the woods! :D

Jim

Attached Files:

15. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Nice... Ran when parked...

16. TIMMYTOOLS

TIMMYTOOLS
    from canada

I have 2 57 turnpike cruisers, will be starting resoration in spring.both have exellent running engines and trans. Low miles. Once i swap the parts i want the rest will be for sale. No room to store 2 cars. Both are complete.

17. Welcome,

Please post an intro. Where in Canuckistan are you?

18. Smokey2

Smokey2

These were Pretty Dam "HOT" in thier Day..............A running mate had One, wid a Continental Kit, An that sob would Fly...........Can't remember how it was carb'ed.....may
    have had 2-fours ?????
    Good Luck on gittin' hit.
    A Lot of times you don't give TOO MUCH fer sumthin'..........
    You just buy it a year Early !

Sittin on my arse, waiting on it to warm up, so'es I git back peddling on the '53.

Smoke'

19. TIMMYTOOLS

TIMMYTOOLS
    from canada

windsor ontario

20. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

21. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

22. Rick,

Did you bring it home yet? Todd

23. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Not yet. Got delayed by my boards.. I start my old car account in september and I hope to have enough to go and get it next summer... He said it wasn't going anywhere. We have become friends since I started talking to him. He has added some coo NOS emblems and things like that.. I have a truck and a trailer I can use. I want to stop by you and see that 60. If you let me drive it I will let you drive the Turnpike cruiser...

24. magneto57

magneto57

CooooL car..........Rich

25. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Actually sat in one this past weekend in Auburn Indiana. It makes a 60 chevy look like a Corvair (as far as the size). What a car! This guy wanted double what I will be paying for the car in my avatar. He had a pretty cool story about a guy who would not leave him alone on the highway(he kept passing him and then slowing down) He said he laid into it and the guy looked like he was standing still. I said"son you're gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop driving that HOT ROD Lincoln" ( reference to the lincoln 368. I am not sure he got it but that happens a lot to me because I am so goofy... I cannot wait to cruise this barge down the highway. I already have the passing eye mirror, rechromed Nu Vue spotlight mirrors... I just need some viking hubcaps and I am good to go. Theses things sit low from the factory. I recently lowered my 60 3" and I am sure that it sits lower still. Sorry for the ramble....

26. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

27. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

ran that red speedo line solid---didiers stretch nov 1963---4 door hardtop wagon all options...

28. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

I finally own this car!!! It is at my friends and is really coming along. The cruiser skirts were painted moonmist yellow to match the body. Next thing is to get the rims powder coated yellow to match. Reord player will be installed this week. Power windows are getting fixed, along with the memory seat. Car runs great on the highway. but I am replacing the bias plys with radials. Lots of accessories installed. Running dog dish 57 Merc caps with beauty rings. Hope to add accuair airride in the future.

charleyw and Baumi like this.
  29. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

boy that only took 5 years, good luck with it...

30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Now that's what I call patience! Knowing what you want and waiting 5 years to get it, wow. Most folks would have given up on it by now. Good luck with it, we need to see some good pics of it!