Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 t bird trans removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevy gasser51, Dec 13, 2007.

1. chevy gasser51

chevy gasser51

the trans is all loose but cant seem to get it to come out. If
    your not familiar with these cars it has a ford o matic trans with a 312 the trans crossmember is not removable. Top of bellhousing gets to the flexplate bolts and thats it, trans is pushed all the way back. really don't want to pull the mill.

2. b.r.

b.r.

something binding? maybe a jack on the back of the motor would help if the motor wants to tip backward with the trans loose causing bindage

3. squirrel

squirrel

Chilton is not a reliable source, but the old book says you get to pull the motor to get the auto trans out of an early T bird. doesn't look hopeful...sorry!

4. you have to pull the engine and go out through the engine bay. no other way to do it. most guys will pull the engine and trans together. but, be careful not to damage the front fenders. they're very costly.

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Been there ... done that ... on a 56
    The engine HAS TO come out the front ...

One of Ford's better ideas :mad:

6. Dominick Hide

Dominick Hide

I know all the manuals say to pull the engine, but with a little dissasembly and a good trans jack it can be removed on its own. I recomend using a spare oil pan and bolting it to the jack as a way of holding the trans steady.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First drain fluid and remove pan, Next remove valve body. Next remove the two tubes that connect to the rear pump. BOTH

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  7. Dominick Hide

Dominick Hide

Sorry about that, must have hit a wrong button. Anyway, as I was saying, both are visible in the next picture, one to the left of the servo bolt and the other flush mounted with the screwdriver pointing to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put a jack under the engine and lift it enough to remove the trans mount. You can now remove the tailshaft and housing from the main body of the trans. Rotate it a little and push it as far back as it will go. If the three tubes remain in the main body as they did in the next picture then remove them. If they stayed with the tailshaft then leave them for now.

[​IMG]

Attach jack to trans, remove converter bolts and bell housing bolts and lower assembly.

[​IMG]

Ta Da...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  8. silent rick

silent rick

any problems with reversing the procedure and putting the trans back in?

9. squirrel

squirrel

that's a neat trick, probably wont' work on any other trans either!

Should work for reassembly if you are very careful putting it back together. Might void your warranty if you get the trans rebuild by a shop and then take it apart...so either discuss it with them or pull the motor, or learn to build it yourself.

10. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

The last t-bird I worked I had to pull the motor, it seems that it would be just as much work pulling the motor as it would be taking the tranny apart to get it out. I would be worried about possible leaks if you take it apart to put it back in I would suggest pulling the motor. when putting it all back in you can do it two way's either in one assembly only if you have something to lift the motor up really high like a chain fall or put the motor and tranny in separately since from what I remember my engine hoist wouldn't lift it high enough to clear the nose of the car and still tip the transmission down enough to go into the engine bay, these cars are somewhat of a tight fit.

11. squirrel

squirrel

I restored a 55 bird about 10 years ago, pulled the motor separate from the trans, then pulled the trans (and overhauled it), then put the trans back in, then the motor.

12. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

This guy nailed it.Lots of posts this week on old time trans stuff.I lived this stuff, just don't type or spell well.

13. Dominick Hide

Dominick Hide

Time wise I agree there is not a lot of difference between removing the engine or just the trans. The biggest advantage as I see it is that of space. Once the trans is on the bench I don't have a hoist, engine, radiator, hood or bucket of antifreeze to avoid as I work. I have done this job dozens of times and never had one leak on re installation, just be sure to clean the top of the frame and the crossmember of all loose dirt and grit before laying the tailshaft back up there. Because the trans has to be tilted back to re install, it is best to make a simple tool to hold everything in place to prevent the clutch packs from separating, and dislodging the thrust washer race. See picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I agree that if you were planning on taking the trans to a rebuilder, then it would be best to remove the engine and keep the trans in one piece. I also agree with Squirrel that this could be a good time to learn to build for yourself. Judging by the amount of posts from people that want to replace their Fordo with something else, for no other reason than they can't find any one to work on it, this would be a good one to learn on.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  14. squirrel

squirrel

wow, a new guy already set to write a tech article on how to overhaul a ford-o-matic!

Seriously, if you'd do a complete illustrated TECH post on how to do it, what to look for, etc, I'm sure it would be very well received!

15. Ole don

Ole don

Gentlemen, I stand corrected. My hat is off to anyone who has done a T Bird auto trans removal. Looking at the pictures above, it appears that you have only about ten inches width on the trans mount cross member. The part I removed on the sedan is about 14 inches. That makes a world of difference.

16. A Rodder

A Rodder

New guy :), been here awhile, just went undercover!
    Since '07, :D

17. brad chevy

brad chevy

Looks like Squirrel has the best and easiest plan. Pull the engine,then the tranny,and reinstall in same order. To many things to mess up seperating the transmission and then hoping you got it right. More work but a good time to clean up the engine bay and engine.

18. sunbeam

sunbeam

I'm thinking I'd reather pull the engine, there not that hard than take a trans apart under the car. I guess i don't like stuff falling in my face that much.

19. Guys,dont you think he has resolved the issue after 5 years????
    Look at the date this thread was posted..

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Someone better check on him, he may not be taking a long nap under the car like we thought ! :eek::D

Don

21. Ole don

Ole don

This was posted on the Ford Barn today, sorry, I answered in the wrong place.