Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 Ranchero Headlight eyebrows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GreggAz, Aug 5, 2008.

1. GreggAz

GreggAz

here is some more on the ranchero I have been working on, and a question for you guys.

I had other photos of it here :
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279247&showall=1

this week I have been working on new edges for the fender above the headlights. The stock pot metal parts were junk, and we wanted to eliminate the seam, so this is what we came up with.

this is the step left with the factory trim part off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

its a bit thick, but its what the boss wanted, 1/2 in rod, bent to match the shape of the fender, and pulled out to the center. Here is the jig for bending the rod.

[​IMG]

then the rod was tacked in place,

[​IMG]

then skinned with sheet metal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My question is, should I extend the peak in the top of the fender to the peak in the eyebrow?

[​IMG]

2. kustombypook

kustombypook

I really like the new eyebrow. I vote yes, to extend the peak all the way into the new eyebrow.

3. KIRK

KIRK

I'm no expert on this kind of thing but I think it would look better if it were extended. But then again it looks really good the way it is. Real nice work.

4. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Yes, extend it. The body line will flow better...

5. bulletz

bulletz
    from nz

yeah extend it....if you don't like it then take it off

I like what you've done there. Its these small touchs that can really make a vehicle look cool:cool:

6. toddc

toddc

Yeah, extend it. You know you want to.:D

7. bizcoupeguy

bizcoupeguy

when you get done there you can do the same to mine...
    [​IMG]

that whole area, both sides is jacked up on my car! i hear you can also use '56 ford truck headlight buckets, supposedly they bolt on. different application altogether

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  8. GreggAz

GreggAz

the buckets and trim rings we used are from a pre 55 f100 if I remember right. It was close to a bolt in, we had to enlarge the opening, and drill new holes.

9. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Neither. Extend it but have it stop a fraction of an inch before the roll at the front. Basically, don't completely mold the ridge into the front. Leave the slightest distinction of a "spear tip" just before the roll.

Hey, I'll be at the shop Friday. What's on the lunch menu?

Attached Files:

10. I like Jeem's idea, Great Work.

Bill

11. bizcoupeguy

bizcoupeguy

12. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

I like the extended bodyline too, so thats my vote. I think it would work well with F-100 headlight ring too. just a thought, I did it on my ranchero and was a breeze and made a big difference (no bugeye effect). Thats my 2 cents anyway.

13. eberhama

eberhama

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but did the potmetal pieces survive the removal? I could sure use them for my convertible if you want to sell them.

14. GreggAz

GreggAz

the headlights in the picture are F-100 it was a big step to cleaning up the front of the car.

eberhama, the pot metal parts are more or less junk, they were cracked and dented when the project came our way.

15. eberhama

eberhama

Yeah, thats how most of them are. Most of the ones up here, the studs rot off the backs of them.

I think this is the F100 headlight conversion others are refering to(using '56 rings):

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197&highlight=1957+ford

16. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

17. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

thats nice. those subtle little mods make the car

18. Gregg Please post images of what the underside of the eyebrow looks like, I'd like to see if you blended in the piece between the headlight and the eyebrow edge, the taint if you will, haha. I need to get on my Fairlane in fix those areas.

19. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I'm a sucker for subtle mods, and that right there is right up my alley! good work.

I like Jeem's idea.

20. GreggAz

GreggAz

aaahhhh, I see what you mean on the headlights. Our customer wanted the early F100, and they look a ton better than the stockers.

Abe, I didnt take any photos of the underside under construction. Today I filled in the underside, quick and dirty, some filler and it will be good to go, Ill try to get a shot of the underside as it is now.

Thanks for the input guys, I think the few little things we are doing will make a big difference on this car.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  21. GreggAz

GreggAz

here are some shots from below.

Starting from the base on each side, I mig welded one tack at a time moving up, until I needed to add some small filler, then one strip of sheetmetal on each side of center.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

its far from perfect, but it should be close for the body guy

22. Thanks Gregg, good shots explain it.

23. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Now I was expecting COMPLETELY different pictures....

24. bostonmike

bostonmike

Come on Jimmie you know you can't get pics from below from Greggie Too short