Register now to get rid of these ads!

'57 Pontiac valvetrain question. Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jake H., Mar 15, 2006.

1. Jake H.

Jake H.

The 347 in my Pontiac has always had a slight "tapping" noise to it. I've been told by Poncho guys to run MMO through the oil and change it every 1,000 miles 'til it stops.

Kinda' made sense. It is non-adjustable. So I've been doing just that and it keeps gettin' worse. It sounds like friggin' Keith Moon's under the valvecovers mangling his cymbals!

Yea, I know I should pop the valvecovers off and inspect. In fact I'm doing that later tonight.

Any other suggestions besides rebuilding the heads? It's almost worse than an exhaust leak to my ears.

Thanks,
    Jake

2. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

MMO is good stuff,but Rislone is better for cleaning out sticky lifters.

3. Sounds like it might be worn rocker arm.A lot of the time they wear not only at the tip but where they attach to the head.There is a small piece in there that is flat on one side and curved on the other that wears out also.

Fairly cheap to replace and easy to adjust.I usually keep a couple spare rocker arms and pushrods in my 55 just in case my right foot gets too heavy.Haven't had to replace any on the road yet.

4. Jake H.

Jake H.

I popped the valve covers, and you're dead on, Safari. Worn rocker arms. Off to the wrecking yard I go!

This wouldn't suck as bad if I wasn't replacing the squeaking u-joint, and finally installing my new master cylinder, all in the same week.

My driver is slowly turning into a full-on project (don't they always?).

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Jake

5. You'd probably be better off buying them new;they really aren't very expensive and most auto parts stores can supply them.

6. Jake H.

Jake H.

Good idea. I'll hit up Napa today. I'm so used to being "junkyard-minded" lately. Trying to stay within the budget, y'know. Thanks again.

Jake