Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 olds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tatts, Sep 24, 2009.

1. tatts

tatts

sold my old chevy and bought me a new toy

Attached Files:

2. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

That looks like a great cruiser:cool:, Congrats!

3. That is freken sweet if you get a chance post up some more pics.

4. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

5. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

very cool....more pics please!:D

6. tatts

tatts

got lucky with this one. it cruises real nice. does anyone know what kind of trns fluid a hydra matic takes?

Attached Files:

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

originally the hydramatic took TYPE A, then it went to DEXRON, then to DEXRON III. Try and use DEXRON III if available. I would stay away from the DEXRON IV OR V. Some people use Ford type FA with good results too.

8. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Tell me EVERYTHING about the olds and buick 5-6-7's; The body appears to be very similiar if not identical to the chevy 5-6-7's.

9. Kerry67

Kerry67

10. 2002p51

2002p51

The 5-6-7 Pontiacs shared a lot of parts with the Chevy. All the doors, deck lid, and glass will swap. But the Olds was very different.

11. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

[​IMG]

nice ride, similar body lines on my 57 Buick

12. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

For all the popularity of the '57 Chevy, the other GM cars (BPO) that year, in my opinion are much better looking. Nice car.

13. one of my club brothers has a 4-dr '57. i love that car. yours is sweet. keep an eye on that hydramatic, they are either very good in that model car or crap. again, a really nice car!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. tatts

tatts

thats a badass custom the lines flow perfect. what kind of tail lights

15. spook498

spook498

Thats no joke! I had a 56 Olds Super 88, 4 dr sedan. In 1991 I dropped the thing out and had it rebuilt. Put it back in the car, and it wouldnt run right. (would shift for 2nd to 3rd, and then drop right back into 2nd) So I took the car to the shop to let them fix it as I was getting ready to move (with the car) to Germany. They couldnt fix whatever the problem was, so they bought one from somewhere else that had been rebuilt 10 years prior. They put it in the car, and it ran great, but the seals and gaskets were dry so it didnt take long to start leaking.

Eventually, the car and I made it to Germany, but a few years later, only I came home. The girl I left the car with says all the fluid leaked out, and since then, I dont think she has done anything with the car. Occasionally I think about bringing it home, but the shipping would probably be more than a 4 door sedan is worth.

Anyways, about the 57, I like it. 57 is the only other year Olds I would have, over a 56. I really dig the rear quarter windows.

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

they share with the Buick.

17. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

18. Tell you everything??? Dude, it's time to start doing your homework Go to the library and pop open some old car picture books. (There are some great ones.)
    I can tell you that the 57 olds was one of the most beautiful cars ever built. It's up at the top of my wish list!!!The more you study alot of the cars of the fifties, the more you'll find how "Plain" the tri-chevys really were. I can also tell you this. Car makers (G.m., Ford, And the chrysler, plymouth cars shared the same base componants to their bodies. For example the 55-57 pontiac safari "Borrowed" the body from the chevy nomad. They almost did the same with the corvette. Not unlike a camaro and a firebird. This is Why when I needed a windshield and a dash for my 60' caddy, I was able to use the parts from my 60' impala. (with a little fanagleing.)
    Don't worry though, Rest assured that your drooling over the right cars!

Attached Files:

19. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

20. teddyp

teddyp

love the 57 olds yours looks great enjoy it

21. citcapp

citcapp
    from Bothell WA

Sweet, welcome to the 57 club. I have a super 88 with a 455 and turbo 400 great cruiser.

Attached Files:

22. tatts

tatts

yeah my tranny is leaking like a stuck pig now. ive only had her since wednesday. took the ride to the super run here in henderson and it rann pretty good some issues but nothing major. got the car home sat. night and it left a trail of tranny fluid up the driveway. this olds has a 371 in it will a later model chevy tranny bolt up? i have a 200r and i believe a turbo 400 on the side of the house.

23. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

Dex/Merc will work. I use it in all my cars and trucks. 61 Olds, 69 Roadrunner and 2000 Ford F-150 with no problems.

24. id love to find a 57 olds absolutely love them very nice find

25. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

26. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

Nope, it wont, you need an adaptor, BUT due to the long rear of the block i would recommend shipping an tranny to ross engenering so they can cut down the bellhousing on the tranny to make it fit.

if your going to use an manual tranny its much easier to make it fit good, sure there are adaptor kits to put an th tranny behind the olds but it will be pretty long like what 6-8 inches longer then it really "should" be...

27. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

I have caddy taillights, also have a 455 with a turbo 400