Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '57 Nomad found

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R. Seghi, Jan 10, 2013.

1. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

ill take a look and see how many clean ones i have--itll b a day or 2

2. Gator

Gator

Good plan...

3. Deuces

Deuces

Bump!.......

4. 55chevy

55chevy

How many cars were in the stash??

5. slammed

slammed

The other Nomad should be posted up too. WTF Chuck!

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I didn't read all of these, but save yourself a ton of hassle and expense on the front seat: I think it's Glide Engineering that makes a brand new front seat that looks very similar to the original. It's been a while since I looked, but they also have some with arm rests in the middle, lumbar supports, or the plain stocker looking one.
    No restoration, derusting or spring replacement needed--ready to recover and bolt in, and when I did a write-up on them a couple years ago, they were cheaper than an original seat.

I THINK it's Glide, but do some checking. There's no reason to spend the big money on an original, beat-to-hell, rusted front seat anymore.

(and six or seven years ago, I sold mine for $750 plus freight... a gasser doesn't need a bench!)

-Brad

7. belair

belair

The back window frames on Nomads are problematic. They are cast (pot metal?) and warp. The torsion springs are the culprits, and leaving the hatch up doesn't help, either. Many guys remove the springs. There used to be a guy who would put them in a jig/fixture and straighten them out. I don't remember if my dad used this service or not, but his doesn't fit as good as he would like, so he fights the battle of the rear window by never opening the tail-gate.

8. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

sorry havent gotten back to you----mine are bent/ pitted---srry man--it took me a bit to get at them

9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Robert,
    Great score, Since you have 2 now, even more of a CONGRATS to ya!!!!!!!

10. racemad55

racemad55

If you are serious about the nomad you really need to join the " chevrolet nomad association " Expensive cars to do but worth it in the end.

11. c57heaven

c57heaven

Get in touch with Mike. He can advise you on the rear window. He does straightening.

http://www.madmooks.com/

12. Vet65te

Vet65te

I had the liftgate frame from my 56 Nomad straightened about a half dozen years ago, before Mike (Madmooks) was in business. I have since bought a pair of the hydraulic lift gate struts from Mike for that liftgate because once you remove the factory torsion bar springs, that frame and glass assembly gets to be a handful to lift up, especially once you have the tailgate down and you're leaning over it to reach the liftgate. From what I gather, the very early 55 versions were brass but the rest were made of pot metal as already mentioned. If you have two liftgate frames, Mike might be interested in working a deal with you for your spare frame.
    Mike T.

13. racemad55

racemad55

All I meant by that was it would be a good connection for parts and services such as the lift gate straightening. I sent mine out to John Chambers in Az. He forwarded it then to Cal. to get it fixed. Also check Chevytalk website.It has a nomad section. Rick

14. 56madmook

56madmook
    from long beach

you are correct, but when the hatch is in the up position its actually in the safest spot because the torsion rods have the least amout of tension at this point. when the liftgate is in the closed position, those torsion rods are trying to push it up , but with no where to go the top of the liftgate then starts to twist.

there are a few guys now that do straightening, we got into 3-4 years ago to compete with the guy who had done it for years who was charging a lot.

the first few hundred liftgates in 55 were brass, then GM made the switch to potmetal. even the first few hundred pontiac safaris had brass gates ( we have one here off body #91 ) . the torsion rods are so strong that even the brass gates need a little bit of straightening.

after you have your gate straightened the torsion rods have to be removed, or it will just twist again. the aftermarket gas struts accomodate the torsion rods, but without harming the gate. they make opening and closing the gate a lot smoother without the hassle of latching each side. you dont absolutely need the gas struts, the gate will just be a lot heavier with no assist.

15. 55olds88

55olds88

what a steal...... god I love America !!! this would never happen in N.Z. !!!

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Nice score, but how is you can find $4750 to buy that on the spot? Your always telling us how you never have funds to finish the 55'. I don't get it :confused:.

17. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

Let 'um bitch about the tow hitch........

Then tow the gasser with it.

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Nope

19. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

I wonder if that is what this Nomad would look like if it ever sees daylight again?

I couldn't see it very well, this is the only photo I could get of it. Imagine a chicken shed with no windows that a skinny guy like me can barely fit around the car. Pretty sure the owner hasn't seen the back side or inside of it in years, cause there is no way he can even fit by it now. But he thinks it is worth BJ dollars..... :rolleyes:

At least he gave me the 58 TBird I have :D

[​IMG]

20. I had this one from '65-'70, warmed over 327, aluminum T-10, posi, ran pretty good, came out after work and it was GONE! Stolen, insurance gave me $450.00 for the Nomad. Some assholes tried to get it twice before so I took the coil wire out and had the hood cabled with a pad lock on it everytime I parked. About two years after it was stolen I was down south of TJ mexico runnig a motorcycle endro and spotted the car sitting in front of a cantina, it looked the same as the day it was stolen, we didn't go check it because we may have gotten ourselfs killed......I still miss that one! My oldest son Gary with his bike is now 49..........

Attached Files:

21. sololobo

sololobo

Could you use another left nut, I had 57 Nomad and let it get away and you see what I would trade for another Nomad! Great score pal, best wishes on gettin that baby goin! ~sololobo~

22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Damn Craig, it's been nearly 35 years since you told this story to me and it's just now I get to see what your Nomad looked like. It's nice or was :(

23. Amen.

Take it to the car wash, then buff out the existing paint.

Put a seat in...get it running, then take it to one of those tri-five meets where the purists have spent $150K on their cars and park it right in the middle.

24. I'm probably younger than you, and for some reason the grouchy old bastards love me. I think it's because I do more listening than talking.

PM me the guy's name and address, and I'll start working on him.

25. moval57wagon

moval57wagon
    from So Cal

Hey, Have you found a front seat yet? I have a 57 210 - 2 door wagon and had the same problem - No front seat. After running buckets for awhile, I decided that I wanted a bench. I found one out of a mid sixtys El Camino. Perfect width and a split back. May not be exactly the same as the original 57 seat, but It works pretty well, and I only have 300.00 bucks invested which includes new upholstery. It may be worth a look.

Harry

26. kasultana

kasultana

Awesome find. Love those cars. Congrats!

27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Hey Robert!!!, use the bench from your '55 since it's getting buckets. Those '57 benches ain't cheap you know.

28. c57heaven

c57heaven

this black car has a one piece bumper and the fit of the hood bar and fender mldgs looks great. Notice 57's with repro stuff of today. Nothing fits that well.

When he takes his 57 to a tri five show in unrestored /driver condition; it will surely draw the largest crowd in the lot. Just open the hood or the door and watch it draw 'em in like a magnet. Me included.:D

29. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

got me thinking...wonder if my bench seat in a '56 pontaic 2dht would bolt in?