Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 International Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mater, Jan 10, 2011.

1. mater

mater
    from Minnesota

FYI: I am restarting this "build thread" as I now know how to properly do it.

I found this beauty while installing windows for a homeowner. I proceeded to swindle him and got a sweet deal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roads weren't too great on the way home.

[​IMG]

Clearly I have more than one project going on this winter.

[​IMG]

Engine is wedged in there good. Is my truck floating?!?

[​IMG]

One large wack of iron. It is probably scrap since the third cylinder was full of water.

[​IMG]

Anyone think that old six cylinder is worth keeping around? or should I start getting some of my money back in the scrap world.

The patient is all prepped to receive the heart transplant!

[​IMG]

327 Mild cam and high compression heads - nothin special.

[​IMG]

I finally got the engine centered, front to back

[​IMG]

The start of my mounts.

[​IMG]

Here is the rear cross-member. It still needs gussets.

[​IMG]

These are some of the pieces I have cut for my engine mounts. I still need to bend them and round the corners, but I am all out of oxygen. Should be here on Tuesday.

[​IMG]

These washers are a temporary mock-up of my rubber biscuits that are on order.

[​IMG]

2. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Cool beans. I want to see how you are dealing with the steering column clearance. I've got a 54 R100 that might hopefully be getting a V8 transplant in the spring.
    BTW, you should tell that farmer not to use the handyman jack on the grille,lol.

3. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plans? Turing this into some sort of Hot Rod?

4. R Pope

R Pope

First time I've seen an engine/trans pulled with the driveshaft still attached!
    The steering shaft can be routed around the exhaust with 3 U-joints. We put a Hemi in a similar 'Binder years ago, but we put a '39 IHC box behind the axle. Lots of room then!

5. retromotors

retromotors

I'm not an International expert by any means, but I thought the '57 trucks had headlights like this:

[​IMG]

6. 1952henry

1952henry

Just as Chevy pickups had a first series 55 (AD)and second series 55 (TF), IHC had a first series 57 (S-series) and second series 57 (A-series).

The transmission may be a T98, could try to peddle that on the OLDIHC site.

7. R Pope

R Pope

Never hidebound by convention, IHC made changes as they went, not caring about model years. Makes historians chew their nails and age prematurely!
    That's a 3/4 ton, so yeah, it's probably a Warner T98 trans.
    The engine may be a high compression 240 with pop-up pistons. Somebody might buy it from you.

8. retromotors

retromotors

Aha .... something else to add to the long list of things I didn't know.:D
    Thanks for the info.

I was gettin' all hot & bothered about a second series '57 that was available locally .... until I tried to stuff my 6' 5" 220 lb. ass into the cab. :eek:
    Guess I had forgotten how relatively tiny the insides were!

9. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

pretty cool lil binder a 327 will be fun , build on

10. mater

mater
    from Minnesota

Yeah that's what i figured on doing with steering shaft knuckle over knuckle down knuckle back.The motor says 220 on the pan how much does something like that generally go for? Can probably get $125 at scrap yard.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  11. pool

pool

It looks pretty solid to be from Minnesota. The harder things to find for the S-series are good headlight trim rings, hood side trim and wing vent rubber. Many parts from the earlier L and R (50-55) interchange. Good luck and keep us posted, pool.

12. mater

mater
    from Minnesota

I actually bought this truck in canton SD. The original owner also lived in SD.How did you lower your truck that looks real nice. Hope to have motor mounts done tomorrow. Ive been so busy no time to work on truck. My latest pass time has been repairing the snow blower so I could get rid of the ten inches of snow in my driveway. Glad that's done.

13. oberg

oberg

Awesome truck! Love the color and patina. My incredibly uninformed guess is that the engine would fetch a better price for scrap, but the transmission is worth at least a little bit.

As for lowering it, there are a couple of good threads on the oldihc.org site, I would search there a bit.

I have been looking at the Jaguar front-end (see http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451036&showall=1) with a ford 8.8 rear to get the suspension and ride height I want on my '50 L-110.

14. 1952henry

1952henry

Did it have the little gauge pod on the dash? Funny about that cab, they used clear into the 70s on the larger Loadstars.

The first S-series cab dates back to 1950 on the L series. That cab was used up until at least the mid 60s on the very large R and V series trucks. FWD also used that cab into the 60s, if I'm not mistaken.

15. pool

pool

My old pile has a mustangII up front with a Z in the frame to lower it and allow the engine to sit at a little more pleasing height in the engine compartment. Out back is a notched frame and a 9inch on top of the springs with the eyes reversed. I've heard many say the cabs are the same on L,R,S models and except for rear windows they are correct, the doors however are a different animal alltogether. The L and R share the same small window but the S has a larger vent and regular window opening. I am in the process of trying to find vent rubber for my S but am not having much luck. Pool.

16. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Cool!

I miss my old '57 S-110...

[​IMG]

17. pool

pool

So do I!!!! Not to steal the thread but, are there any updates from the new owner? I sure hope he kept the same theme you had goin for it.

18. mater

mater
    from Minnesota

These are the pieces of 2 1/4 x 3/8 steel I am bending for my motor mounts.

[​IMG]

Here is the finished cross-member and bent motor mount pieces. Still have to drill holes. I'll need to cut the short side on an angle so that it can mate up to the plate on the side of the engine that is at a 5 degree angle.

[​IMG]

19. 94hoghead

94hoghead

looks good. Not a lot of Internationals running around....

20. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Pool, I sold it to a guy who was planning to keep it as is, then he had to move and sold it to another local guy who put a big block in it and painted it flat black with fat tires:eek:. Bummer.

21. mater

mater
    from Minnesota

sucky back pain is prolonging the finish of my mounts

22. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Here is my old Montana pal Jamo's '58 IH..... ya getting stopped by a Idaho Stater for speeding.

Attached Files:

23. mater

mater
    from Minnesota

Dang the state troopers! Nothing can instill that panic feeling like the brake lights of a highway patrol car. Nothing except there sirens and light bar flashing that comes next. And then the feelings of regret and kicking your own butt cause your going to work for free today and your still late. sweet ride kinda like the flat black cant decide what color to paint mine.I have Long time to make up my mind.

24. mater

mater
    from Minnesota

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  25. ...that truck's already painted! ...I like those IH's.

26. 4284555sd

4284555sd

I put a 364 buick in a 59 IH pickup back in 1970. I put a car 4 speed in it. The truck was geared low, I don't know what gear it was, But low. I sold the boy the motor and he made me a deal to put it in for him. I think it was a 59. I saw one here on H A M Bs somewhere not long ago that looked like it and it had a buick 364 in it. I would like to know how to get a hold of the owner. The truck was a old KY. state truck that was yellow but was at the time painted blue I saw it (or what I think ) on some Thread here. It looked like it was in a body shop sanded down to the metal. HO WELL. Good Luck boys.

27. pool

pool

That sounds like the one zman has but he's not from Kentucky.

28. mater

mater
    from Minnesota

Any thought on selecting steering column fellas. After taking mine apart to make room to work on motor mounts all the bearing came rolling out so she isn't a smooth steering machine anymore wanted to change anyway. any help is much welcomed.Motor mounts are done post pic when I can

29. ScottV

ScottV

Nice straight forward build ... funny, I was in Canton, SD Friday. Where in Minnesota are you, I go to Fairmont somewhat regularly.

ScottV

30. mater

mater
    from Minnesota