Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 inline 6 235..Popping,Sputtering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sloppymotor, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A dwell meter is a great tool, but not necessary at the moment. I assume you're not flush in tools and equipment. No problem. Close enough is good enough for now. In fact, if you don't have a timing light, that's ok too. You can get 'er darned close just by ear. But try to follow along. Step by step. Don't jump ahead. Report back after you finish each step.

2. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Hey rick..I turn the screw all the way in ..and the idle goes up..and I give it some gas ..and it dies...

3. Are you sure you're turning the idle screw and not the screw on the linkage?

4. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Yes..I feel like this may be an Issue..when it spits and sputters..its as if its a miss fire..

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good point. Should check the spark quality even if the condensor is new.

Then check firing order and timing. We'll walk you through it.

And Saxman brings up what I was thinking...the mixture screw is at the base of the carb. You know where the idle speed adjuster screw is?...as he said...on the linkage. It only controls the idle speed.

6. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Im turning the one..at the base..that is next to my Vac line.. Is this correct...???

7. It's not really an issue as long as the rotor points to the #1 terminal when the #1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke.

8. Yep, that should be right.

9. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

OK...Plug has a nice yellow ish..spark...should I check all of them..??

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think we need to check them all (spark) but it can't hurt.

Yellowish? Whadda ya say, guys? Sloppy, can you hold the spark plug wire at least say a half inch from the spark plug and still get a good arc? Does it sound snappy? Strong?

Hold it and see if it knocks you on the floor. KIDDING! Just kidding!

11. I think if it sounds snappy and he can see the spark in daytime, he should be okay?

12. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

See that's the problem..Its seems then there is compression iat tdc in the #1...the rotor is at like 1:30..and Im not 100% if its right..57 dosent have a marker for TDC on the Hormonic..

13. Should be more bluish color.

14. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Just to reiterate ..I got this car as a roller.. The Guy took a 4door..50 that had a rebuilt 57 in it..and put the motor..trans..and rear in this 51 2 door fleet..it started and drove well enough to get it off the trailer and in the garage..I can do all work ..Until we get inside the Motor,Trans, Dizz, Or carb...Then Im lost... He said it had been rebuilt about 10 yrs ago..the Motor is a 57,trans a 50 or51..closed shaft,Rear is the 50 from the 4door...its a 3speed manual...

15. where ever the rotor is pointing when cyl#1 is on compression, will be where you start the firing order with plug #1

16. I thought that was just for checking magnetos?

"Have your buddy hold while you spin it, if he pees himself, it needs recharged, if he craps his pants, it's good to go!" :D

17. hahaha

18. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

I checked the others couple are Blue..and a couple are more yellowish..Strong spark though..Sounds as the pop..or misfire is on #5 or 6 when I rev.

19. It should be close enough for now. I don't want to jump ahead of everybody but do you have a timing light?

20. You can make you own TDC mark, by hanging a piece of welding wire, or what have you in the plug hole and, checking to make sure that the valves are closed, turn until it moves...turn the other way until it moves and your custom TDC mark is right between the two! :cool:

21. 73super

73super

My '49 with a 235 had started doing this and it got worse. Turned out to be the coil itself.

22. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

My # 1 Is where your pic has the # 5

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The timing mark isn't on the damper. It's on the flywheel. You look through the front of the bellhousing on the passenger side...through a sight hole.

Yeah, B13...a "yellowish" spark sounds a bit close to orange. But for now, maybe we can assume the spark is strong enough...we won't send Sloppy to the autoparts store yet. I think we can check the timing first. We're running out of possibilities...and the timing just might be the main problem.

Shall we concentrate on the timing right now, guys? And firing order.

24. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

I actually put a paper towel in the hole..and when the compression hits..its pops the towel out like a rocket...Good..Or NO...???

25. I'm down!

26. That will just show you when the compression stroke is starting (valves are closed), we want the very top of that stroke.

27. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

I agree...Because..it ran ok before..But now clearly sounds like a Misfire ...and power is at Zero when I drive it...Before I was running..not perfect..But was running..good enough to drive around the neighborhood...

28. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Why does it run better if the Mixture screw is farther in than out...but dies as soon as you give it gas...

29. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

OK..Pulling V,Cover back Off....

30. Do you see the "sight hole" that Ricky mentioned, on the bellhousing?