Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 Gasser questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ben51F1, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Ben51F1

Ben51F1

Hello I just recently picked up a 57 Ford Custom 300 and have started working towards building it into a gasser. I’m ready to buy a front axle kit and have done a lot of reading but have a few more questions.

I would like to do a drop axle to keep the front end down. Looks like speedway only offers the 4” drop axle in a 48” width and Im thinking I need a 50” at least. I’m also keeping an eye out for a F1.

Also trying to decide on front wheel and tire setup. I thought I decided on the torque thrust originals but realized they are 5” wide and feel like it may be to wide for what I’m wanting. Anyone have any pics? Would pair with a coker f560 165/15 or 155/55.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

PoTaToTrUcK and loudbang like this.
  2. Whatever you do, don't use those gawd-awful bolt-on ten spokes that rocket sells.

And there's a member here (I can't recall his name... :rolleyes:) who can build you a axle to your spec.

Mark Yac, Sky Six, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  3. AHotRod

AHotRod

You need to talk to Bill of WAC Custom Axles, he is a fellow HAMB'r also.
    Here is a link to his HAMB page: BCCHOPIT | The H.A.M.B. (jalopyjournal.com)
    Here is a link to his website: WAC Customs

You don't want a weak,flimsey imported axle under your Hot Rod, so be sure to talk to Bill of WAC Custom Axles. American made !

loudbang and swade41 like this.
  4. hoop

hoop

Bill is the man.

loudbang likes this.

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

A 50's F1 axle will fit right in. You can drill them to give you the cool look.
    I lucked up and got one from a 53 Ford p.u. that already had disc brakes. The guy was installing a Mustang 2 front end and gave me the old axle and mono leaf spring setup.
    These American wheels are available in 15x4. DSCF3679.JPG

catdad49 likes this.
  6. Ben51F1

Ben51F1

Thanks, I think I found a F1 front end going to check it out soon.
    Are those the d series wheel? I saw those offered in a 15x4.5 but not the originals

7. Ben51F1

Ben51F1

Anybody else running a 15x5 wheel? Also what tire do you have with it? Pics please!

8. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

That's even the same color as my 65 Caliente! I have two axles, one from a 56 pickup, which should be the 3" wider version like your 53, and a narrower 50 that already has disc brakes etc., all new springs etc., thinking the 50 might do the trick, but have both options. Also just picked up a pre-welded Alston back half frame for 4-link, have the 4-link and a Mark Williams 40-spline rearend with spool and wheels/tires, should be interesting

9. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What?!?!? Don't you know that these wheels are mandatory equipment on all new faux gasser builds?

X38 likes this.
  10. RodStRace

RodStRace

Decades back I had a 57 altered that had been built in the 60s.
    I was told it was an econoline axle, but never worried about it's pedigree since it worked.
    It also had the rear moved up and the wheelbase was 1" different side-to-side (Garlits stagger, I assumed, it was nicely built).
    Research the steering connection carefully. Hanging a pair of springs, axle and brake lines is easy. Hooking up a safe steering combo without welding the forged components should be designed in first.

11. mercmike430

mercmike430
    from Aptos CA
    1. MEL Lovers

There is a lot of ways to go. I used a 1956 F100 axle with some Speedway parts like the springs and mounting kit. The gear box that is recessed into the frame is also from the F100. The stub on the gear box is Mustang II and the column is a bit custom but worked great. It all worked great for the track but was not fun to drive on the street. Very hard steering unless I was moving. Great candidate for electric power steering. The front tires did not stick out and the Protracs are a bit wider than the ones you looking to use. 1957 ford 001.jpg prom 2009 031.jpg 1958 Ford Ebay 029.JPG

Deuces likes this.