Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 57 Ford manual trans help needed/Window gasket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sky Six, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I purchased a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 sight unseen. I know, I know, a really stupid move.
    With all of the knowledge here on this site I need help with two problems.

First, its a 292 C.I., 206 H.P., 2BBL, "Y" block with a 3 speed manual transmission on the column. I have got both operating great. The problem is it does not have an overdrive unit. Foot to the floor, downhill, with a tailwind it winds out at around 50 MPH.
    What can I do without major surgery to get more speed ?

Second, who manufactures the best rubber gaskets for the front and rear windows? I'm getting new glass and the current rubber is long gone.

I really appreciate the help and direction on this.

czuch likes this.
  2. khead47

khead47

Take it out of 1st gear !

czuch and Texas Webb like this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not having an overdrive unit is NOT your problem....if a stock 57 Ford 292 won’t go more than 50 mph, something other than the transmission is seriously wrong. Start with the engine and/or exhaust system. Maybe the exhaust pipes are clogged with varmint nests.

Ray

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    czuch, Texas57, F-ONE and 1 other person like this.
  4. My 56 Ford with a 292 would do 70 in second gear. You have some other issue.

F-ONE and town sedan like this.

5. Steele Rubber Products has the windshield and back glass rubber at reasonable pricing.

czuch likes this.
  6. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

What rearend is in the car?
    Maybe someone swapped in 456 gears or something silly.
    My 292 y block with fordomatic shifts in to 3rd at 70mph.

I bought all my rubber gaskets for my ‘54 from Steele and Dennis carpenter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F-ONE likes this.
  7. It most likely is not would out @ 55 it just isn't a quiet car. Its not a late model car and cannot be compared to a late model car. Granted it could have a 4.11:1 gear in it if it belonged to a hot rod kid in the '60s.

I had a 292 3 speed in a '55 Ranch wagon that would cruise @ 65 to 70 all day long when I was a kid. But it was properly tuned and I had never driven anything newer than 1970 at the time.

Can't help you with the window seals.

F-ONE likes this.
  8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The should go better than that.

What is the status of the brakes?

I would carefully inspect all the rubber and metal lines. If black rubs off the rubber lines, it's time for replacement. Look for signs of leakage on the backing plate, drum and wheel.

I would jack up each wheel and spin.

What I do is this.....I grasp the tire at 1 oClock. I let gravity do most of the job and let the tire go at about 5 O Clock. The wheel should make about 1 complete turn. The rears may take a little more effort because of the gear and driveshaft. I doubt it but if the car has positive traction both back wheels may need to be up. I have never had one with positive traction. Any how, you should be able to turn the wheels with little effort.

If the wheels are hard to turn it could be 1 shoe adjustment. 2 wheel bearings 3 locked up brakes.

On a new to me car, I would bleed the brakes to check fluid status and function.

If this all checks out, I would do a short test drive and check the drums and hubs for excessive heat. Sometimes a master cylinder with a blocked return port will build up pressure....applying the brakes. I noticed this on my 50, when I noticed the brake lights were on all the time, or would come on after a short drive. The master needed the port cleared or master replaced.

Are you sure you have it in high?
    Have you checked the dope in the transmission and rear axle?
    What is the gear ratio?.......A car with a low gear ( higher number) may only top out at 55 60 mph ( gentle Cruise)...( should do better flat out out)...Even though it may only top out at say 50 mph.....it should get there like a rocket with a low gear. Flat out it should should pretty much be a rocket with a low gear. Even with a low gear, something's not right.

Lastly is the engine. You may want to do a compression test.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Replaced spark plugs? Old plugs condition? Carb linkage set up correct-full throttle working? Trans shifting correctly?

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Dennis Carpenter is where most of us 57 ford forum get seals and anything else rubber, and more.
    You will probably get the answers you need here for your current problem, but also check out www.57fordsforever.com
    You will find most anything you need to know about '57 Ford full size passenger cars there, and it's an active forum. Lists of suppliers selling 57 Ford specific parts, list of salvage yards known to have '57 Fords, etc etc
    jfyi, there are some changes being made on the '57 forums, I just checked the link I gave you and it now goes to a home page. To get to all the info I mentioned above, click on the forum button up top of the home page.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  11. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Thanks for the reply,
    The brakes on the car are new disc on the front and new shoes on the back. The drums were well within tolerances. Replaced plugs, checked everything. Switched to electronic ignition. Had all of the fluids changed...engine, trans, rear end, radiator. I will have to check the gear ratio . I'll take the exhaust down and check it because there were some critters under the seat.

12. BJR

BJR

Check the gear ratio of the rear end first. Sounds like you have done everything else, if done correctly.

13. 50 MPH ? I owned many worn out spark plug oil fouling' with rear main leaking , rockers not oiling and as much blow by as exhaust boat anchor Y blocks back in the 60,s. And they all would do more than 50 in second gear even with 411 gears and small diameter 14 inch tires. have someone mash the throttle flat on the floor (engine not running) and peer down the carb and check to see if you have fully opening throttle plates? run a compression check to be certain that you haven't a blown head gasket between cyls and the valves are all holding. I found a sure fire cure for a low performing Y block. I swapped in a FE engine. and its a bolt in swap. almost every 55 &56 ford I ever owned and drove eventually got a FE swap.

14. What RPM are you turning at 50mph? If its really winding out then you may have a really low rear gear of a terribly slipping clutch. If its running a reasonable rpm then you have engine problems.

15. Does Carpenter make the gaskets for Steele? I've bough other things from Steele but never glass gaskets.

16. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I really appreciate all of the feedback. Now I have some checking to do.