Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 57 FORD Build #2... Glutton for Punishment.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

McNamara started in 1960,... Henry Ford II was running the show in 57.
    Iacocca came to the helm in 1969.
    1957 was a banner year for all the big 3.... and in 1958.. things bombed(recession, I believe)

chryslerfan55, enloe, Spooky and 9 others like this.
  2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

THAT... is BAD-ASS

enloe, Stogy, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  3. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Nice progress Jeff. I'm about to embark on the same build of my 56 so all your pics give me more of a push. Floor pans and a couple floor braces on the way from down south. My build will be very similar to yours as far as the sleeper angle goes but I will be painting my car as the green has to go. I will be following along!

4. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I always get a kick out of the looks on peoples faces when I mention that Ford outsold Chevrolet in '57. They usually think I'm kidding or nuts and go with the argument about always seeing the '57 Chevy at shows but hardly ever seeing '57 Fords there. I just say look it up if you don't believe me.:)

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Do it!!!!!!

6. ..I had an Uncle who spent 31 years on the Los Angeles Ford assembly line. He used to love reminding us of that fact.:)

7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Well... gathering a few more parts..I have a never used SW speedo I picked up in my travels and want to use it in this car..... I am not going with the factory instrument cluster, rather making a flat plate.. using this speedo and wanting to find a similar Tach(size wise) 3-3/8's.
    So I follow @Speed~On on instagram.. this guys work is ... incredible.. contacted him and found my tach and 2 accessory gauges..SW of course.The Accessory gauges will run in place of the radio/heater controls and clock area....I found a pick of the torture test 57 that ran 24-48 hours non stop at Bonneville...I like that layout.

TJ..came through with flying colors(Speed~On)... great guy...... we are gonna search out the volts and Fuel units in the future.

IMG_8816.jpg IMG_20211117_084755_421.jpeg IMG_20211117_084755_486.jpeg IMG_20211117_084755_536.jpeg 1957-ford-bonneville-3.jpg

8. Beautiful gauges!
    It's amazing how the right gauges & steering wheel can make a nice interior awesome,:cool:
    while the wrong gauges or steering wheel can ruin an otherwise nice interior. :oops:

9. I love the tach Jeff.

Deuces, Stogy, Speed~On and 2 others like this.
  10. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Ford outsold Chevy?!?! Why would you spread such rumors, especially about the glorious tri fives?!?!? :D
    I love em all so it really doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned. Of course I own a 56 Chevy and am a Chevy guy. That's why my Ford coupe has a 409 in it! :p

Atwater Mike, Deuces, Spooky and 6 others like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The fact remains....... 50% of tri-five Chevys produced are still around.
    Purely a guess, I just pulled that number out of my ass:eek:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    Deuces, Stogy, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  12. Who cares who sold the most…57-59 Chrysler products are the best looking!

Now, back to Jeff’s outstanding build.

13. loudbang

loudbang

AH a Farina Tach you are keeping good company they came with the Original Thunder Bolts. :)

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

That tach !

15. Nice work Jeff.

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Ha ha ha ha..Ahh Lane! hahaha

chryslerfan55, enloe, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Indeed @loudbang !..I just can't afford a Rotunda unit.... I wish!

Deuces, Stogy, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

So.... in one of my parts cars...someone made a flat dash panel.I have these parts as a template.. and I will follow it.. except..... I'm only using the bigger Tach and speedo in the main cluster..... and also using some jewelled warning lights for turn signal indicators.....
    Still finishing the floors at this point... but work is heavy and it comes first.
    But I do want to say to all my Southern pals and friends...... have a very HAPPY and SAFE Thanksgiving!

IMG_8817.jpg IMG_8818.jpg

winr, chryslerfan55, enloe and 18 others like this.
  19. Faria tachs I saw a lot of them in boats and actually have one, rated at 5000 RPMs. Would be perfect for a Ford application... I'll see myself out...:cool::cool:

chryslerfan55, enloe, Deuces and 8 others like this.
  20. Speed~On

Speed~On

@Jeff Norwell Thank you for all your kind words, Jeff! You have a great build and it's fun to watch it all come together via this thread. 57 Fords are fantastic and have such nice body lines. I am glad I can help with the gauges and no doubt we'll get the rest over the next several months. It was great talking to you on the phone. Your enthusiasm for old school cars is awesome. I have the wiring schematic for the Faria as well and I'll get that to you. Those are quite particular in how they need to be wired, so you'll be in good shape now.

I was able to talk to Jeff on the phone, what a super nice guy that you could easily talk to for hours like you've know each other forever. The HAMB is such a wonderful place with down to earth people.

21. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

leave it to a crazy Albertan to make such claims... :D

chriseakin, Deuces, Spooky and 5 others like this.
  22. hey!! I resemble that remark!!!:)

Deuces, lothiandon1940, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Making floor progress.. need to finish the rocker Tops and clean up everything.

4.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I must add...I enlisted a good friend Terry R.. to help make some panels and get them fitting in some tricky compound curve areas.. He taught me a lot.

brEad, enloe, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  25. This thing isn’t done yet? Hahaha!!!! Looks good Jeff.

Deuces, Thor1, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  26. the area where my gas pedal is rusted away, i saw you had more rust than i did there, where does the pedal originally mount?

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Yupp...Ya have to Floor it before you can Floor It!!!

20211214_090222.jpg

It's a rust belt thing...:oops:

Looking good Jeff...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  28. In case you need a source for jeweled indicators, the lights from Fender amplifiers are available from Amplifiedparts.com. You're making good progress. It's obvious when someone has enthusiasm. :)

29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

On an OG floor… there is 2 small bolt holes in the bottom corner of the floor… near the lower tunnel area… in my case… I’ll just wing it when setting up my carb linkage and work backwards…
    I’ll be using a late style 57 pedal assembly.

brEad, Deuces, lothiandon1940 and 4 others like this.
  30. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

That’s awesome info… I’ll check it out!… Thank you

chryslerfan55, Stogy, Deuces and 4 others like this.