Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 57 FORD Build #2... Glutton for Punishment.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Maybe it's me, and I'm not a big "patina" die hard but the condition of your paint and look of the car is great as is. Put the stainless back on and she'll look just fine!

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not a "Patina" fan at all but far and away prefer to see a guy build a solid safe car with all the mechanical work done and then do the body and paint when time and money come about rathern than do the paint and not redo the mechanical end.
    I did some mechanical work on a car a guy I new had back 40 or so years ago that wasn't bad looking when he bought it but he took it straight to a body shop and had it slicked out and painted and then woke up and figured out that the suspension had to be rebuilt, the brakes had to be done and it needed some engine work. It was a pain in the butt working around that new paint rebuilding the suspension and brakes. Luckily I didn't have to do the engine work.

Back when I was in trade school in the mid 60's one of my buddies had a 57 Post like that that he pulled the six out of and stuck in a 390 crate motor and brand new 4 speed from the Ford garage in town and then had it painted 57 Pontiac Lime fire Green. It turned out to be one of the best looking rides around at the time. First crate motor I ever saw in my life too.

Algoma56, bobss396, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Well. got a bit of progress done over the weekend. but not as much as I wanted.Fell off a mountain Bike...... bruised some ribs... I think.
    .....but I managed to fit the front sheet metal a bit better for fitment, the cleaned up the old grill.... Its just a good driver quality...
    Hopefully I can get a bit more this week.

175.jpg 176.jpg 177.jpg 178.jpg 179.jpg

59'er F100, pivir123, brEad and 20 others like this.
  4. I got new seals for my turn signals, and they seem to be too big, any tips to install them? My old ones crumbled to nothing.

Stogy and Jeff Norwell like this.
  5. It’s about damn time!! Lol. Good to see you back on it, take care of your ribs, we aren’t as young as we used to be….

6. mlagusis

mlagusis

Man, I'm not much of a patina guy but this one looks pretty cool with the current paint colors and fading...etc.

Stogy, 57 Fargo and Jeff Norwell like this.
  7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I really like your front sway bar. Is that an aftermarket setup or something off of another car? The factory 57 Ford sway bar is a joke, it's practically straight across. This one looks much more robust

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks Joe.... Yea..... Factory Fords Sway bars are a joke.I threw all of my OG's to the scrap pile.
    This one is the second one I have and they improve steering and front stability by 1000%(Now both 57's have them)
    I can't say enough about them.
    Otherwise,... it's like steering the Lusitania.
    I used this one. the biggest on the market.... 1-1/8 thick. compared to the weenie 7/8 factory one.
    20 minute installation.... probably one of the best things you can use on a 57-58 (and 59) Ford.
    ADDCO makes one. but not a big as this......
    I got mine here...... worth every penny IMHO.....

https://www.larrystbird.com/product/front-sway-bar-kit-5758-1-18/

ottoman, Just Gary, Algoma56 and 3 others like this.
  9. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is looking really cool Jeff. Such a major departure from DD or the Root Beer coupe but still so very cool. I do not like patina cars at all but have no problem with it looking used.
    I must say that I am impressed that you are doing all the work. I always figured you to have the Huck Finn gene being so smooth and dreamy.
    Please keep moving on !!

Algoma56, Thor1, Stogy and 3 others like this.

10. I find these work well for me ;)

[​IMG]

11. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Great job done on the grille and I hope you recover from the bike accident quickly

Jeff Norwell and Stogy like this.
  12. Good to see progress. I'm not sure where you're at on final hood adjustment. You may have already done it. Thought I'd share how I do it just in case. I leave the grill and lower panel off, so I don't have to loosen and tighten the 4 bolts per hinge unit over and over. I put all the bolts in but only tighten the 2 top ones per side to a snug point. I then take 2 of my long reach vice clamps and clamp them as far up as I can on each hinge. Mount and close the hood. Now I can just bump the hinge units around until the Hood is exactly where I want it. tighten the other bolts good enough I can cycle the hood. It's usually right where I want it and final tighten all the bolts down. If you have already done the Hood, just mark this down to an Old Guy not paying attention and keep moving on. Wish I was at this point on mine.

Just Gary, Algoma56, hrm2k and 4 others like this.
  13. I sure am glad someone else put up the training wheels. :) Do we need to offer a personal assistant to look after you for a bit? :)

hrm2k and Jeff Norwell like this.
  14. Car’s looking great! Thanks for keeping things posted. I love those 2 doors.

Did the bike/broken rib thing. Broke two and cracked two. Couldn’t lay down in any position. Slept in the recliner for two weeks. Coughing or sneezing was pure torture. Hope you heal fast.

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

No....I have not yet, But its next on the list.You make a good point.I will probably enlist 2 friends to help.Nothing is set in stone yet.. but the hood... they are a pretty unwieldy thing to do by yourself.... and I am too sore at the moment to try ....
    All fasteners on the sheet metal are just finger tight..... Not sure if I am just lucky.. but everything seems to be fitting very well.

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yea... It does really hurt. but getting better..Thank you.

17. The grill looks amazing, the one on my car is anodized aluminum and was in great shape. The sway bar helped my car out quite a bit too, same size as yours.

18. Do you at least have a cool mountain bike story for the crash? Downhill, off a jump over a train or something? Or did you just fall over on flat ground? Haha!!

Sorry Jeff!

19. Lol...I have been getting similar questions about my broken leg. No cool story to go along with mine other than there was an Edsel nearby when it happened. Hopefully Jeff has a better story of jumping some canyon or something on the mountain bike. Anyway, hope you heal soon Jeff.

The_Cat_Of_Ages, Thor1, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  20. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Jeff don't know if you saw this or remember seeing it but I was able to mount the hood by myself. Much care and about four hours of "messing" to get things lined up. The hood install is about half way down the page.
    https://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=6035.315

and on the sway bar issue, found that the 58 Edsel Ranger/Pacer front sway bar fits perfect. Just need to weld brackets to the bottom of the frame rails.

The_Cat_Of_Ages, Thor1, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Bill.... that is Awesome.... I am gonna re-read your thread and follow your path..... thanks so much!!!!!

Jeff

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

@57 Fargo
    @guthriesmith
    Ok.. the Bike Story.......

In the next town over there is a man..Adolph,.... who is 94 years young, A 30 year GM man, German Immigrant(A very long time ago) and Adolph is a very proud, self sufficient senior.
    Adolph uses a bike everywhere and is a regular client at the drugstore where my wife works.

Adolph has had 3 Bikes stolen in the past year from Meth Heads in that town... Scum bags... and yes.. Adolph locks all his bikes.... No matter.... the scum bags steal them. He lives on the second floor of a small Apt. and cannot bring the bike into his dwelling.He physically just can't do it.
    Anyhow.. My wife hears of the most recent theft, takes it upon herself to find a good used bike at a rural garage sale and buys it for Adolph.(he has no idea..)

I am convinced my wife is an Angel on Earth for all the goodness she does for people.. unselfishly ....
    I on the other hand.... am a complete Jerk.... we are probably put together so I can learn life lessons.....

The Bike does need a like work... I replace the brakes and tidy it up, I don't want Adolph getting hurt on the Bike.... .... So I take it for a spin, after 5 minutes...I say "wow.... this is like I was 12".
    Our driveway is sloped on either side..... while I am doing figure 8's and hard brakes... over the side of the driveway I go.. over the handlebars and roll down the side.. the handlebars jam into my rib cage....

Anyhow... I get up and nothing but bruising.... the next few days are painful.. yea. like a sneeze or cough is like torture.
    I am getting better.... and Adolph.... he Loves his new bike.
    Never mentioned any of this to Adolph.... and as a proud Man. he wanted to pay for the Bike....
    Naw... Just ride Adolph..... just ride.

Anyhow..... thats the bike Story...
    I hate Bikes.

Back to the 57.... and thank you.

7.jpg 8.jpg

23. I also have learned that to get the Hood clocked correctly Cowel to front panel the Core support may need to be shifted side to side a bit more than the factory center bolt hole will allow. A little help from our friends is often a good thing. Seem to be a must have on these 57-8-9- hoods.

24. Good for you Jeff! I feel the same way about my wife and I. She’s an angel and I’m not so much!

Car therapy fixes everything, working on old cars makes me forget anything that is wrong.
    Keep going, my next project comes home next weekend….

25. Good for your Wife having a caring soul. That bike crash may have been a wakeup call from the Boss letting you know there are other things in life past our Cars. I get those messages now and then also. God bless Adolpf and your Wife. You'll recover from the Message sent.

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Evil the Mountain Bikin' Knievil...I think I see an Artwork with the 57 Ford and some Wildman on a bike trying to outrun the beast and it's Eye bulging driver...

Quick return to normal Hoodlum, Jeff...;)

27. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

I was wondering when they got mountains in Ontario???

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We do but they can go braless...:p

29. Sounds like my kind of story and my wife and yours would likely get along great. I know I have been roped into helping several folks because my wife is way more sensitive to others needs than I am. Oh, and I also get wake up calls at times to keep me grounded and keeping my priorities in check.

Thanks for sharing. It is somehow comforting to know that I am not the only one that does things like going over the handlebars. :eek:

Back on topic...the 57 is coming along great! You will have to come through Oklahoma and take me for a ride when you make that trip to Texas. :D

30. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Back on topic...the 57 is coming along great! You will have to come through Oklahoma and take me for a ride when you make that trip to Texas. :D[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!