Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 ford/302 - what headers will fit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meteor, Nov 2, 2008.

1. meteor

meteor

I have a 59 steering box to make more room - I bought a set of Mustang shorty headers, driver side is perfect, pass does not fit - hits the top of the control arm.

thanks in advance...

2. Gasser57

Gasser57

Full length for 70 Mustang worked for me, But you may have to shave the tranny cross member.

3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just modify the pass.side header pipe!-----------------Don

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The factory "K" Hi-Po code manifolds give a lot of clearance in this swap, if you use 65-67 Mustang headers you should be OK,same application.:cool: The Tri-Y's may work even better and a little more low end torque can't hurt.

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Here is a pic using the 65-66 Mustang Hi-Po "K" code manifolds these will outflow the newer Mustang shorties by a bunch! If you use 65-67 Mustang Tri-Y's headers they will give you a lot of room,also I would use a mini-starter for more clearance google: db electrical great folks,great prices!

Attached Files:

6. meteor

meteor

Thanks for the info guys. I personally don't like the look of the mid-sixties headers but maybe the tri-Y...if they would fit...

7. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

The Summit brand 5.0 Mustang shorties fit in my Galaxie. The passenger side IS close, but has enough clearance. I know the '57 and '62 suspensions are very similar - maybe the '62 control arms are further apart? The difference in header brands may also be why these fit in my Galaxie.

Quite a few years ago, I installed a set of Ford Motorsport shorties in a '57 Ford and the passenger side fit fine, but the driver's side needed to be modified to clear the stock steering gear box...

Malcolm