Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs '57 El Camino: Can it be done right???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mtlcutter, Oct 27, 2009.

1. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

The Australian market started making coupe UTEs in by Ford in 1934 and even in the 50s and 60 they were not based off wagon bodies they made them with 4 door sedans with full custom rear quarters.

My 56 Desoto and the 56 Plymouth I used to own used 1954 Plymouth 4-door sedans as their bases.
    [​IMG]
    The rear roof sections and windows are actually 1946-48 Plymouth P-15 (from the factory) and they look a lot better than the 54 rear roof section would have looked.

I have yet to see a 57 Elcamino conversion look right. probably because of how short the bed is in relation to it's height? The 55 and 56s look a little better but the rear roof section seems to be the problem.

The austrailian market made some models with fins that do look very good in the Chrysler model line, it's a shame they never offered them here in the states.

Attached Files:

2. mtlcutter

mtlcutter

I have one of those. I think i will do that. Thanks for the idea.:rolleyes:

3. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

I think the rule on a first date is: Dont talk religion, politics, or station wagons. I dont have any pictures, but once I saw a 57 Ranchero with a small block Chevy... You could take it a step further and put Chevy badges all over it... (tongue in cheek)

4. I wish I had pictures of the 59' cadillac abortion Gene Winfield has at his shop out back. I could not get myself to take a picture of it. It was too sad to see it all hacked up with a flaming hatchet and then scrunched down into itself to make a pickup bed in the back.-Weeks

5. squirrel

squirrel

6. mj40's

mj40's

This one was built by a friend in the 70's in Boise. I believe it was made from a 65 Nova 4 door wagon. He called it the Mini Camino. This picture was taken in Spokane at the swap meet 3-4 years ago. Anyone seen it in that area or know who the owner is now?

Attached Files:

7. LabRat

LabRat

These ones ?

[​IMG]

8. 55driver

55driver

I believe this is the one you're refering to... IMG_0331.jpg IMG_0332.jpg IMG_0333.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  9. Nope its blue and very rusty.-Weeks

10. Spity

Spity

11. Spity

Spity

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I got drunk at work and did this. Theres a special place burning for eternity reserved for guys like me.

12. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

You had a shop teacher that was converting '63 Valiant's into Ranchero's in 1959?? Now that's a man with foresight!!:D:D

13. Hey 55 driver, thanks for coming up with the goods, There are a lot of neat cars on here. somewhere iv'e got pics of a red/orange one from the land of cheese, but those are actual photos that i'd have to find.

Since I noticed this post switching over to cadillacs , here's one badass ride that I think I found in the art show. forget about the chevys, Build a Cadi-whack...

Attached Files:

14. for the love of god don't cut up a nomad. find a regular wagon or sedan delivery.

15. squirrel

squirrel

I saw a Pontaic Safari for sale at the Tucson swap meet last weekend that would be a good donor for a conversion...the nomad parts were all missing, and the roof was rusted away very badly. But a nice nomad should be left alone, some future mom will thank you as she goes to the grocery store in it

16. DrJ

DrJ

I think most of them are cool especially those last two two tone '56's, just don't call them "El Caminos" because they aren't!

They aren't anymore an El Camino than a Model A coupe with the roof cut off is a roadster, it's a coupe with the roof cut off...

17. Sonny Day Out

Sonny Day Out

18. Now that 58 above is nice...

But....

Let's find someone with enough balls to cut up this 48' tucker nomad!!!

Attached Files:

19. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

you know i have a 59 elky,and a 56 2drht.but i love the caddy above looks like a rear glass from a 59/60 flatop chevy. that is do-able imho

20. Blue and very well done but not the Winfield abortion. I shoulda taken a pic now that I reflect back. There is always next years gathering at his place.-Weeks

21. That thing needs cut up!:D

22. this could be cool

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

These photos make me really glad I sold my '62 Impala, rather than try to make an EL Camino style truck like I was thinking...

24. these two are in town,and as much as the work is very well done they just dont look right........but it can be done right,59/60 elcamino roofs look good on these tri five elkys///////////JMO

25. junkjunky

junkjunky

I don't have any pictures but one of the classic chevy guys here in south west Missouri had a 57 that had a late 60's or early 70's El camino bed top&back window grafted to it.Looked OK but like he told me"I would'nt have done that to a good Nomad"

26. D'Monsta

D'Monsta

[​IMG] [p]

Really? I think taking a crappy four door and making one of these Pre'Camino types is better than crushing them.. I'm looking for one to do this exact same thing to... Maybe a '57 Pontiac?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012