Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 57 Chevy Fenderwell Headers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by John Milner, Feb 25, 2014.

1. John Milner

John Milner
    from Oklahoma

I am thinking of buying some big block fenderwell headers for my 57 Chevy. The front end will be jacked up with ball joint spacers and taller springs. I will also be mounting the engine using the bellhousing mounts and 6 cylinder front mounts. Does anyone know of a fenderwell header that will work with this combination? I searched but could not find a definite answer.

2. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

3. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Speedway carries them for tri-5s and are about $210. I bought some to modify for an Fe motor in my 55 Ford gasser.

4. These are the Patriot ones Speedway sells. Before I cut the frame and moved the axle forward, the driver's side hit the tire. My engine is as far back as it can go before the firewall would need to be cut. They won't work if you have stock suspension.[​IMG]t

5. Butch M

Butch M

I have Hooker's on mine I like them real well

6. John Milner

John Milner
    from Oklahoma

Butch, are you running an A arm front end on yours? I was a little worried about a tube hitting the steering box and getting into my tires. .

7. Butch M

Butch M

8. John Milner

John Milner
    from Oklahoma

Great, sounds like those are the ones to try. I plan on jacking the front end up with ball joint spacers and stiffer springs and running a skinny front tire. So, hopefully they will clear.

9. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

I think the speedway will fit. The first set I had had clearance issues with the steering box in the stock location. The coated ones I bought fit perfect because the tube in question had been relocated.

10. That is why we call out that they "require smaller front tires to Avoid Contact" :D Your tires are TOO big ;)

Yes, I re designed that one header tube slightly to better clear the steering box.

11. John Milner

John Milner
    from Oklahoma

So the Speedway headers are designed to clear the steering box?

If not, are they close enough to where a hammer might persuade them to fit?

12. dblgun

dblgun

Don, the re design that you did, is that a second re design? The first re design made it worse.

Milner, if you're going to purchase a set get them in plain not coated because they will need some "work" to fit. I would not use a hammer but figure on possibly cutting and "adjusting" one if not two tubes. That is if Don's re design did not already fix the issue.

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Maybe this is a good place to ask a question on the Patriot BBC fenderwell headers? Why is the passenger side header 1.5" wider, than driver's side? And why is one collector sit a significantly different height off the ground than the other?
    I thought it was just the set I bought, but I have two friends who got the same header, and both measure out with identical mismatching widths and heights.

Driver side:
    [​IMG]

Passenger side:

[​IMG]