Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 Chevy Budget 4 door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Aug 5, 2017.

1. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Well I finally got the valves lashed at least well enough to fire, got the distributor in, and minimal wiring, no alternator but I got it to cough again, ran out of starting fluid and didn’t have anything else handy besides gas and I’m done for the day but should be able to hear it run again soon! It was too cold to stay out any longer and dinner was ready... hopefully the next update I have it at least running off a jerry can!

2. RMONTY

RMONTY

Hopefully it doesn't mysteriously lock up like the 235 did! :eek:

3. COLD! YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE COLD! I was hoping that you would have had it in a heated garage by now. We know that you have been busy but you are still plugging away. Keep at it and you will get the biggest grin on your face when you do get it going. Then drive it around the block will equal another big grin. Keep at it. We have faith in you.

4. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Quick wiring question, where would be a good place to give the choke a 12v feed? I’m assuming not a good idea to run it off the coil + because that would take power away from that? Could I run a wire from the hot side of the ballast resistor? Or maybe from the hot side of the alternator? I know I probably won’t need the choke for now anyway, but it’s nice to reference this thread whenever I need some information. I can just search the thread on my phone without having to come back inside, look for a diagram on google or whatever.

chryslerfan55 and chevy57dude like this.
  5. Grab power from something with a fuse, the radio+12v wire would be available. Route it through the wiper grommet in the firewall.

6. If temporary, then any 12v source will do. If permanent, use an ignition source.

7. The ballast resister is the feed for your coil.