Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 57 Chevy Budget 4 door build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Well damn, than go with that bad boy.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I thought I was the only one that called them "Wally World." :D

3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I would have the one I had checked first then proceed onto whatever the best one for the money that I could afford was if necessary.

4. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Roads are bad so i can’t do anything with the battery tonight, the problem with trying to pull it outside and using my pickup to jump it is that i’d have to run through the lawn which is muddy and even then i’m not sure my jumper cables are long enough.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and low budget like this.
  5. greaser

greaser

By now, I would have taken the battery out of the pickup and put it in the 57.

bobss396 likes this.
  6. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

If it was a post terminal battery and not a bolt terminal i would have by now

What’cha got in there, kid?
    More than you can handle!

7. Take the battery out of the pickup and use jumper cables to the car

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG]

9. These work out okay to get the car running, I don't like to use them full time.

10. I bought a water pump bolt kit for my 355, cost me like $6 on eBay. The top-passenger side bolt is a stud, best place to do your ground and correct for a '57 Chevy.

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  11. I go to the Farm service Coop and buy what they call a power unit battery cost $40 and a core battery. they brand them as blem and there is no warranty. but they will last 4 years. Ive 24 volted a lot of engines that haven't been started in a long time. What I would do with the 57 is pull all the spark plugs. Hook it to my wrecker and tow it a couple of miles in gear. Then it will be loosened up and ready to start. It was common back in the day when overhauling a six volt car to pull start it the first time it was fired up.

12. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Here’s whats happening after charging the battery. I also tried a little gas down the carb vent and pumped it a couple times and she doesnt wanna start

13. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

You can see i’m getting spark if you watch the manifold, and obviously it’s cranking good, just cant get t to keep going

14. RMONTY

RMONTY

What do you have hooked up for a fuel supply to the carb? I don't recall if you ever installed the new fuel tank or not and 37 pages....well it's just easier to ask!

15. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

All i did was put fuel in the float bowl. With gas it doesnt even want to try to start, that sputtering was from the starting fluid i have

16. RMONTY

RMONTY

The first thing I would do is rig up some kind of fuel tank. Trying to start it on just starting fluid alone and what is in the bowl is not the best scenario. If the engine was timed perfectly and had been running yesterday, then you might get a 10 or 15 second run out of it doing what you are doing but that isn't the case here.

chryslerfan55 and wvenfield like this.
  17. RMONTY

RMONTY

Trying to get it to run like you are doing is only going to frustrate you, run the battery down, and put unnecessary strain on the starter which may already be marginal.

18. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Will a 2 liter bottle with some gas and a piece of hose do the job?

19. flatford39

flatford39

Gumout is your friend...you are relying on a carb that you don't know the history of. Could be clogged.

chryslerfan55 and RMONTY like this.
  20. RMONTY

RMONTY

Your best bet if you are going to do it with a piece of hose is disconnect the fuel pump inlet and hook it up. Or you need a gravity feed like I showed you on my 235 thread. Remember that a few months ago? You asked about the IV thing?

21. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Its not

22. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Alright i’ll try that. I could also use a squeeze bulb pump i have

23. RMONTY

RMONTY

The three things that you need you have, to an extent. You need A constant steady supply of fuel. If the level in the float bowl drops you lose the "feed" to the intake. That's why fuel is pumped to the carb. You don't know how much is in the bowls if any at all. Pouring gas down the carb doesn't fill the bowls. It saturates the intake with fuel for the most part.

chryslerfan55 and flatford39 like this.
  24. RMONTY

RMONTY

You will have to keep squeezing the bulb if you go that way. You need constant pressure to the carb. The floats tell the carb when it's full and restricts the flow to keep from overflowing the bowls. The carb will not suck the fuel in. A gravity feed IV uses gravity to keep a constant flow of fuel to the needle and seat that the float operates.

chryslerfan55 and flatford39 like this.
  25. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Alright i’ll work on a gravity feed in a little while when i can find a suitable bottle

26. Get a lawn mower tank and suspend it to gravety feed the carb. Starting fluid drys out the cyl walls. You likely have gas fouled the spark plugs and washed down the cyl walls. Get some good high test ethanol free gas and add 1/2 pint of outboard motor oil to each gallon. pull those spark plugs and heat them up on the stove or with a propane torch. hot spark plugs will help to start a engine because the heat vaporizes the fuel. Instad of starting fluid use WD40 its works just as good and lubes the cyls. In 1982 I was working on a road construction job. And they had a D8H bulldozer. and every day the operator would attempt to start the 2 cyl gas pony engine and run the battery dead. So I would have him operate the road grader I was on and go start his Cat. I would pull my chevy truck up and hook up jumper cables. And I would remove two spark plugs from my Pk and trade with the pony engine. And it would fire right up. I know job security is being able to do things others cannot. So I never told anyone what was required to get that worn out pony engine to fire off.

27. RMONTY

RMONTY

Just so you know, those TV shows where the guys rebuild a whole car and swap in a new engine and it cranks right up? Or all they have to do is set the distributor 180 out? Yeah.....that's not real life with a used engine you know nothing about other than the person that sold it to you said "it ran when parked!" Get some fuel to that carb if you want that 283 to run. At least you know it's firing, kinda! :)

28. flatford39

flatford39

^^^^
    This is great advice regarding the spark plugs. I usually dry them out in the oven.

29. RMONTY

RMONTY

Just to be clear, you need the fuel coming out of the BOTTOM of the gravity feed. Hanging a bottle and running a fuel line out the top ain't gonna get you there!

30. flatford39

flatford39

I am glad you said that....