Register now to get rid of these ads!

'57 Chevy 150...need your opinion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tumbler, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Tumbler

Tumbler
    from Tucson, AZ

Alright. I've had a lead on a '57 150 2 door and finally got the guys phone number. I gave him a call tonight and talked with him a little. I'm going over to his house tomorrow to take a look at the car. Its the utility model and originally didn't have a back seat or window cranks.

Its got a pretty fresh 327 with an air gap intake, cam and other bolt on goodies. A fresh muncie 4 speed. Running/driving car. Just put disk brakes of the car too. Its got impala front buckets and someone put a '57 chevy back seat in it.

Its got some rust in the front floors from a leaking windsheild and some rust in the trunk. He thinks the trunk would need to be patched, but its not rust through yet.

So from that what do you think a fair price would be? Just as a base line to go off of if it looks good. Thanks for any input.

Scott

2. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

The 5K you already discussed sounds like a decent deal- but NOTHING can be said without LOOKING at a car. Ive been looking at tri-fives for 35 years and had CRAP described as perfect- and Jewels described as crappy old junkers. Can't tell without looking.

3. Tumbler

Tumbler
    from Tucson, AZ

Thanks for the response. I agree that its hard to get a good idea of the car over the phone. A lot of the time a seller may be spinning it trying to make a car sound better than it is. I guess I'm just trying to get an idea of what it could be worth if its as described incase I need to deal right there. I'll probably take pictures and post them on here for you guys. I've been into muscle cars and I'm new to the hot rod scene. Just trying not to pay too much for a turd.

Scott

4. If it is a utility sedan and the former ownder didn't throw out the package tray that was where the back seat was supposed to be, it is probably worth a lot more than you think. The utility sedan was one of if not the lowest production body style made. Putting a back seat in it does nothing for it's value.
    Bodywise, check the body supports underneath. The mounts in front of the rear wheelwells are usually the first to go, followed by the front corners of the front floorpans. If you can see the tops and fronts of the rear wheelwells, this is also a problem area. Good luck with it.

5. When it comes to the bodys on the 55-57's mr57 hit the nail on the head. Also look at the tailpan below the trunk and the brace underneath it. There's a lot of these cars out there that look fine standing next to em' but when ya bend down they got no floor braces or pans left in em'. All the parts to fix them are available but if ya buy a rusty one, floor braces can turn into floor pans inner rockers, outer rockers etc. Ask me how I know...

6. squirrel

squirrel

Utility sedan will be Style number 57-1211B instead of just 1211. This is on the aluminum tag that should be riveted to the firewall.

7. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Dude, as you already know, we MUST at least have a photo to give you any kind of advise. But! givin the information so far, Sounds like you have a "Black Widow" in the making. I've had a few. To tell you something accurate is a stretch since we really don't know what we're lookin at. Still, a 57 in any kind of "desent" shape, should be worth your 5k. Tough one.... Take some shots. Let us help You! I'll be watchin. B

8. Gepetto

Gepetto
    from Orange

Dude the 150's are the best looking 57's in my eyes. A buddy bought one a few years back that was parked in 68 when the guy went to vietnam, and when he got home he never drove it again!! I think my buddy paid 3500 for it about 8 years ago, so 5k for a runner sound real good. "Black Widows" are the shit!!
    gepetto

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

The biggest Tri5 problems are rust in the floor pans, tail pan, lower cowl, supports, body mounts, inner and outer rockers. Don't buy it for any price without getting underneath it.

10. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy