Register now to get rid of these ads!

'57 Center section in '54 rear end????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by apbmalibu, Nov 8, 2010.

1. apbmalibu

apbmalibu
    from Wisconsin

I cross referenced brake parts and drum and the '54 and '57 are the same part numbers. That got me wondering, is there any chance I could just swap the center section to eliminate the torque tube? I'm not worried about strength at this point, just want to ditch the tube.

2. bryan6902

bryan6902

Need way more info, year, make, model for starters.....

3. hotdamn

hotdamn

he is talking about a 57 chevy gearset in place of a 54 chevy torque tube, i imagine this is in reference to a car?

4. Vendome

Vendome

Those center sections will not interchange. Plus there is the problem with the axle housing mounting points on the leaf springs. They have that hinge like affair that would cause mucho grief without the torque tube. Just swap in a complete 55 to 57 car rear axle and your good to go.

5. apbmalibu

apbmalibu
    from Wisconsin

Oops, I'm talking Chevy cars. I never thought of that damn hinge on the springs. Thanks for the info guys! The '57 rear is the correct width and everything, right?

6. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Widthwise it is ok if I remember correctly. You will have to adjust the location on the centering pin on the spring mounts. There used to be blocks for doing that. I don't know if they are still a commercial item.

7. hotdamn

hotdamn

before you take out your stock axle out measure from the center of your pin to the center of your axle.

make you some lowering blocks with hole and pin measured accordingly.

tri 5 rears fit great width wise however remember if you have a 57 axle they are a one year only bearing that runs around $90 a bearing!

if you are okay with a later model rear a 4wd s-10 rear fit perfect and there are a lot of different gear options.

remember the 4bangers have steeper gears than the 6's so look to see what engine is in it.

also if you are running a gm 3 or 4 spd chevy I have found that a 57 chevy car drive shaft from a manual fits perfect!