Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 caddy air cleaners? a cure for my Crabs? not carbs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Germ, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Germ

Germ

How much are they worth? are there different kinds???
    I found 2 caddys in the yard the otherday, both have the cleaners and look savable,,, I think I remember these being some kind of sought after RARE thing? I think they are GAY. but would like to sell Them...

they are 40 bucks apiece?

worth grabbing>
    I just gave the guy at the yard a complete 54 ford, the roof was crushed so he gives me all kinds of deals...
    It's a far drive from here but what do you think???

germ

2. I bought one for $125 at a swap meet, but mine was perfect. Not any more rare than the caddys themselves, the traingle shaped ones for the multiple cards are kinda rare.

3. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Those batwing air cleaners are worth upwards of a grand each depending on the condition. I didn't pay too much attention to the prices on these because like you, I think they look dumb.

4. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

if they're the ones with scoops on the side they go for $75-100 on ebay,maybe less,i dunno if they're still trendy or not.the holy grail is the tri-power,anywhere from $500-1000.BTW you gonna bring me that '55 caddy trans someday? i have a friend building a studillac,and i think he's gonna need it-george

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Germ

Germ

I have the trans still, it's a 61 I think,,,,, 50 bucks it's yours,,, maybe we can meet next week?

6. theres no cure for your crabs.

7. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

i thought you said it was offa '55? [​IMG]

8. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

The "Batwing" is also for '55 - '57 dual quad set-ups... Yep they are wortha shit load... Excuse the dust on mine...

Attached Files:

9. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

Germy,

There are basicly two differnt types of Caddy aircleaners. We're talking about the ones with the scoops on the sides that are soooo popular with customs here, not the batwings, or tripowers or whatever.

The two types are Cadillac and Oldsmobile. The Cadillac cleaners are FLAT on the back where they are clearanced for the firewall (or something). I usually sell them for $50-$125 depending on condition.

The Oldsmobile cleaners are round on the back. They look better but have less clearance for distributors, firewalls, etc... I'm usually able to sell them for $100-$200 after pointing out the difference between the Olds and Caddy cleaners.

I don't have to tell you to not paint over factory decals and screenprinting unless the cleaner is a total rustpit. Buyers seem to always want a clean original to start with.

10. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

CURE FOR CRABS (NOT CARBS)

Items needed
    1 straight razor
    1 can of lighter fluid or gasoline
    1 book of matches or several wooden matches
    1 ice pick.

Instructions

Shave off 1/2 of the hair in the effected area, pour flammable fluid on the other half. Light the other half. When the little bastards come running out of the flaming half. STAB EM WITH THE ICEPICK.

B [​IMG] B

11. that don't work..........

CT.

12. DRD57

DRD57

1957 Cadillac single 4 barrel air cleaners are big ugly mofos that no one but a Cadillac restorer would want. These are NOT the same as the earlier ones that are all the rage with hot rodders. That said, I got $100 for mine.

13. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Like this one? I'll take them both... One for my Dad, and one as a surprise for a good friend of mine that helps me quite a bit on my projects. They will both flip.

I'm serious.
    [​IMG]

14. Best thing to do is to bring it to the
    Antiques Roadshow for an estimate.
    I'm sure some fruit from Sotherby's can tell
    you all about it.

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Packard had them too. Packard's are flat on the back, I have one, it ain't for sale.....today.

16. Friday's Gurl

Friday's Gurl

Mine is like Django's but it is stock (black).... THAT thing is worth $1k???

Is Django's air cleaner/filter thingy what you are considering a "batwing"?

Becca

17. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa

If they are like Django, I would snatch it up for $40.. Shit I give $50 and smile all day long...

18. Around $100 US in this neighborhood for the popular scoops on the sides type.

19. DRD57

DRD57

Django's is NOT a 1957.

This is a 1957:

Attached Files:

20. i have one off my '53 olds i sold. the car went, the air cleaner was not negotiable,they are bad as fuc#. don't know what to run it on yet... maybe on my cole foster tribute pussy mobile.
    nic
    xoxoxo

21. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

there seems to be all kinds of myths about the duel scoop air cleaners.the caddy has the ribs on top the olds doesnt is a popular one,and olds is round in back,caddy is flat.i have no idea what caddy ones look like,but ive had/have 2 56 olds ones,and a 55 olds one all had ribs,abd the flat spot in back.anyone have a caddy one handy soo we can straiten this out?

22. Radshit

Radshit

I have one like Django. I have no idea what it came off of.

I'll never paint mine though. A friend of mine gave me this aircleaner, and it's as old and crusty as my friend was.....

Attached Files:

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    I've been thinking about replacing this one with a ball milled heart beat graphic aluminum one. [​IMG]

24. Two-Gun Bob

Two-Gun Bob

Hey, 56olds-ERDY, I have two that came off of '56 Caddys (I pulled them myself).
    They have the three ribs and the flattened area in the back.

25. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Tommy, where did you get that winged logo? Bitchen.

Mine and Oilcan's are both ribbed and round in the back and from Oldsmobiles. So what years were they produced? 52-56 right? I guess I've never seen a "caddy" one with the flat spot. Anyone have a pic?

What Olds would get the non ribbed version?

I guess I'm still looking for a complete one and just a topper...

26. orange52

orange52

I gave $35 for mine. I got it from a nice old guy who had a '52 Caddy parts car. Mine is round on the back, has three ribs, and the "air horns" are flared. Most I've seen are cut straight.

Troy [​IMG]

27. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

wow thats a cool one with the flaresnever seen one like that.i wonder if its a year breakdown that they used a round back then went to a flat one later on.it just weird.
    the last one i took off was from a 56 olds,and it was in a barn for 30 years.the one off the 55 sat for 30 years also.
    other other 56 is on my car.i dout they were changed.heres a couple clues i looked in my parts book.they have a picture of a 53 chassis.it shows the air cleaner from the back,and its round,but thats just a drawing.the 56 has a different part # than the 53-55,but they may have just changed part #s.im not sure.i bet the place to find something like that out would be a service bulliten.i bet they sent one out for it at one point.it would be neat if we could solve this mystery right here on the hamb. [​IMG]
    eric

28. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Kerosine.

And those aircleaners kick ass.

29. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Django, I made the logo from a Plymouth winged ornament (it had the ply. clipper ship in the center) and one of those 2 dollar hat pins at every flea market. I painted over the ship, epoxied on the pin and covered it with crystal casting resin. I've got a thing for a winged V8 logo.....
    [​IMG]