Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 buick question (or 2)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rare32, Dec 8, 2008.

1. rare32

rare32

hi all, well I have finally bought myself a 57 buick, a 4door hardtop. I have a couple of questions...
    1. how low can I drop it with the stock suspension without it becoming a problem? I was thinking 3" lower re-set springs? (I will bag it at a later date)
    2. can I buy a single 4bbl manifold for it as the stock carb has had it anyway?
    3 has anybody put a set of 59 lancer caps on with thin band white walls?
    a pic..
    [​IMG]

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

you can get lower springs through Springs and Things
    about 3" is about where you can go without hassle.

The only 4 barrel manifold for the 364 is a stock one, there were no aftermarket ones. Does the car still have the start switch on the carb? If so you're gonna have to deal with that to swap another carb on there.

3. rare32

rare32

thanks zman.
    the car still starts using the pedal start switch but the carb sends more fuel outside than into the engine itself. I figured I could convert it to a button start and possibly put a small holley on it for now.
    The plan is to get it registered pretty much as is for now and later on bag it with jag front and 4bar rear and do a driveline update (so then the nailhead can got into a rod ;) )

I did a bit of research and couldnt find a new 4 bbl manifold, but you dont ask you dont get.

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Hunh? Don't pull the Nailhead out of there. You gotta be able to come up with one for a rod without gutting that...

5. rare32

rare32

unfortuneatly where I live in Australia I could count the number of nailheads in cars on my hands, I have never seen or even heard of a decent nailhead engine for sale here for as long as I can remember.
    The plan for the buick is a family cruiser, and with a lack of nailhead parts in Australia I was thinking a SBC would be more sensible in the buick and a nailhead would be cool in a rod as I am unaware of any nailhead powered rod in Perth (where I live)

I'll see how it goes, if the buick runs ok and seems to be reliable enough I may stick with it. The wife kinda wanted air cond as my 32 tudor seems to be missing this item of luxury...must have missed that while building it huh ;)