Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 Buick grill in a 57 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by merctruck, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Flamingo_57

Flamingo_57
    BANNED
    from Rolla mo.

I was thinking about doing the "bullet delete" like yours but i dont have the cash to get the bumper re-chromed after smoothing the flat spots over. I dig the factory bullet delete plates though, makes it more period since most 57's didnt have rubber bullets stock. I had to cut off a perfectly good pair of rubber "pasties" because the bolts were so rusty, but i never liked the way they looked anyways.

2. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It's far from a bolt on, I did it to mine back in 1984. My memory has gone fuzzy but there is some chopping needs to be done at the ends, it's a heavy die cast piece too.
    I had to use inverted underhood pins to keep my hood closed, there was no way to keep the stock hood latch.

It's a classic mod that will never go out of style.

3. Flamingo_57

Flamingo_57
    BANNED
    from Rolla mo.

I kept the stock hood latch but I had to pancake the grill cross bar and fabricate all new mounting points for the grill to bolt to.

4. Glad to see you decided to join us on the HAMB and took over the thread about your car!!

5. scruff

scruff

I had to rebuild the lower splash apron with some pickup points for the buick grille mounts.The top of the grille fit under the chevy cross bar with a bit of grinding on the crossbar(but i think the crossbar ended up a bit higher).I used the chevy hood latch after sectioning the latch mounting area to raise the latch up into the hood.I even used the chevy hood latch plate but had to build a support to go down to the splash pan.

6. Flamingo_57

Flamingo_57
    BANNED
    from Rolla mo.

I probably should have kept the mounting tabs on the bottom of the grill. I made mounts on each end and one in the center that i cut out of some really thick cast iron and bolted it to the bottom of the grill and to the splash pan hat channel. It's mounted more solidly than the stock grill was at least, and uses half the bolts.

7. che57vy

che57vy
    from jupiter

Anyone know of a place to find a 57 Buick grill?

8. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Scruff that is the best conversion I have seen! I would love to do that treatment but my eye always gets drawn to the center grille bars that don't seem to quite match up and that always bothers me. Yours looks like its one piece and the bullet removal looks bitchen also. I'm inspired now.

Pat

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  9. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Ebay 57 buick parts..be sure it is for a special or century, roadmaster super are too wide

10. Studebricker

Studebricker
    from TX

love it...

11. Shipper Sel

Shipper Sel
    from SoCal

nice!!!

12. PandorasBox99

PandorasBox99

this is goodstuff

13. WOW love to see a 2 year old thread of work I did resurrected. The owner of this car and I did this together and I can tell you it is no easy task.