Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 Belvedere 4 Door Gone Mad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Racrdad, Sep 16, 2009.

1. TexasDart

TexasDart

Maybe front fenders and a hood and it won't matter..:)

2. Bite your tongue!:D

3. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Love it,Go man Go!

4. roddinron

roddinron

Hey man, ask him for a bailout. But then, he'd require you to make it a hybrid.

5. chopo

chopo

any updates??

6. I think something this cool needs TWO HEMIS side-by-side. Or at least two engines. Just my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  7. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Would it be wrong if I said we might have a new generation "ed roth"? Probably. But anyways man, awsome car! cant wait to see what it looks like when you are done!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  8. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Looks great dude! What are you thinking for color(s)? I'd like to see it a bright blue loaded with flake. Sorry if this question has been posted before. I just caught this thread on the way out and had to comment really quick.

9. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Don't know how I missed this thread....Just want to say that I really like what you're doing with the build. Can't wait to see more.

10. edweird

edweird

Datz one kewl sumbich!!!!

11. JRACER1

JRACER1
    from Bryan, Tx,

Awesome build!! I am VERY impressed!!

12. Plowboy

Plowboy

I don't know how I missed this one either, but someone was jsut telling me about it. I look forward to seeing it finished! I know a lot of these things have been started but never finished, but it looks like you have the hard part behind you.

Yeah, a hemi in it would be cool, but I had so sell the Lunar Lander to buy my 392. Sometimes you have to make do with what you have. I know I am going back to SBC's after that money pit!

13. RodStRace

RodStRace

Yeah, I hear they let you into Hooters with a SBC! :D
    You need a poly? Local guy has one for a C-note. I may buy it just to tuck into a corner.

14. Kerry67

Kerry67

To say it is cool is an understatement. You need to use the original headlights as well and fab up something to house them in. It would look cool with the original tail & head lights.

15. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Racrdad,
    NUTS, so cool. There must be something in the water in Texas. More updates please. Slim

16. Racrdad

Racrdad

Finally got a small update at least. Been really hectic lately with work and kids birthdays and such. You know, all that life stuff that gets in the way of car building. :D Anyway, decided to start tackling some headers for this thing. After spending sometime pondering building a complete set or using something off the shelf (which obviously totally goes against the grain of this build) I decided on kind of a compromise. I really like the looks of the fat fender fenderwell headers that speedway sells and at $199 its a pretty good starting place. To get them to bolt to the engine the #3 tube actually is on #1 and the #7 tube is actually on #5. No problem, cut them off the flange and get to work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After lots of thought I cut #1 and #5 tubes off just about 5" or so back from where they meet the flange. My plan is that #3 tube is now #1 tube,
    #5 tube will be #3 tube, #7 tube is now #5 tube and #1 tube is now #7 tube..... I THINK. Crap, I have myself confused now.

[​IMG]

Not a lot of progress pics here, after all it is just welding tubes here and there. Part of the trick on doing headers this way is in planning where to do what you have to consider your access to the tube to weld them back up.

[​IMG]

So here is what I have ended up with. Not finish welded but ready to be. Then I just have to match the other side to it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Racrdad

Racrdad

I do have wheels and tires for it now also. Astro Supreme wheels. Recap Hurst Whitewall Cheater Slicks on the back and I have some American Classic Whitewalls for the front. I hate the look of the radial tires on the front so I havent even bolted the Supremes on the front yet. I dislike the radial so much am I am consider changing over the the Radir Cheater Slicks so I can run a bias ply on the front. Anybody have any input on my ugly radial tread problem here. I hate to buy another whole set of tires just to get a front tire a can live with.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  18. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

19. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

20. robleticia

robleticia

I told you bias would look better! :rolleyes: Mount the radials and slap them on the car and lets look at it, in your "spare time" after you finish the other header!!!!:D

21. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The way you looped the header really makes a nice angled blend from the front of the engine to the edge of the cowl, sorta fills in the empty space. REALLY KULE build!!

22. Plowboy

Plowboy

If it were me, I would channel the body down another 4-6 inches and cut that amount off the bottom of the body. I would also shorten it up some more through the door area and narrow it up at the cowl about 3 inches on either side. That way the motor wouldn't look so small in there. Once you find that it is slightly uncomfortable to fit in, you know you have the proportions just right, or at least that is how I do it, but I never go for comfort. ha ha ha

23. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Cool build, nice progress...looking good!

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Neat work, though being from a more performance (function over form) background I wonder about two of the tubes being so much longer than the other two.

25. roddinron

roddinron

So much for the concept of "equal length headers", but they really look cool. I really like this car, but I do think you need to narrow the cowl area, looking at your early build shots, it looks like you could do it fairly easily by tapering the body till the cowl sides are closer to the frame. And a shortening would help too. But that's easy for me to say.:)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  26. Not like they were equal length to begin with - very few headers are. They are probably too large for the engine anyway and most of the tubes aren't long enough, so they are neat looking manifolds that will hinder performance, but I am guessing performance isn't the goal here.

27. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

To Kool man glad to see people building outside the norm cant wait to see it finished

28. Freakin' awesome!

29. Is that a set of Foresight Ventures Drag Mags I spy? If so, that is a set of dream wheels for me!

30. 73RR

73RR

I keep waiting for a change in direction, so now have to agree with Texasdart...
    With all of the imagination and inspiration in the sheet metal it seems sad that an engine with neither is used.