Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 Belvedere 4 Door Gone Mad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Racrdad, Sep 16, 2009.

1. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Brian.

The car is looking amazing!!!!

Totally cool with an awesome 60's hot rod creativeness......

HC.

2. Pingar

Pingar

Wow. Awesome build. Not a bad idea to take a four door and make it into a cool rod. I know it has been said before many times. But it does look like something Ed Roth thought up. Subscribed!

3. robleticia

robleticia

Like your sister!

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I really like where you're going with the rad surround. Quad lites look cool! (I STILL think hood sides, even with the snakey headers, would work.;) No hood top, to show off the cross ram.)

Looks great!

Brian

5. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Cool rod. I guess they would really hate me.....I took on of those rusted all to hell and made a couch out of it.

6. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

I dig it! It's gonna look killer. You did great with the proportion of the shell vs. the body of the car. I think I have offically fallen in love with this build. Can't wait for the next update.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Add me to the "how the hell did I miss this one" brigade. It gets more impressive with every photo you post. I gave thought to similar rigs of various brands and body styles over the years but so far haven't put one together.

8. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

lookin better n better...

some of you need to back off an piss in some other sandbox... lets see what you've done?

9. thebugbox

thebugbox

I'm digging it... From this angle the proportions are looking right to me.

10. FuryJim

FuryJim

criticism is positive! as afan fan of 57/8 plymouths, and owner of a dozen.. this is what 4dr's were born for! after converting 3 4drs into stock-appearing 2drhts... i almost did a very similar build with yet another 4dr i came across- instead it turned into a copped, slammed, 2dr conversion as well.
    keep up the good work and keep posting pics...

here's what a 54 new yorker, a 79 olds, and an F100 bed turned into in 5 days!
    [​IMG]

11. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

I have no comment that would be appropriate for 'FuryJim's construction.

I do feel that the '57 Belvedere Kustom build is an inspiration to all of us who have been followers of the Ed Roth style of build.
    I'm really liking the grill structure you have fabricated. Is it your intention to build the skin by the metalshaping process? (That would be hammerforming and english wheeling).
    Looking forward to further updates!

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

12. Racrdad

Racrdad

Well since I dont own an english wheel let alone even know how to use one I will be sticking to the "bend it over my knee" process of metal forming.:D Actually, the curved area with some metal on it now you see in a pic or two is parts of a front door skin. I'll figure out the rest as I go. An english wheel is high on my list of things to aquire before I start another project.

13. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Racrdad, I didn't think you had access to that kind of equipment, but thought I'd ask.

There's nothing wrong with building with the tools/skills you have and upgrading as you can afford to. Before you spend a lot of cash on fancy equipment, start hanging out on metalmeet.com and allshops.org also allmetalshaping.com
    These sites are my inspiration for metalshapping tools, techniques and projects. The guys on there are usually very helpful and are willing to share their knowledge/experience. I think you will find that it takes very little investment to get started in metalshaping. All of the shaping CAN be done by hand tools. It just takes longer. If I was just starting down that path again, it'd be all hand tools until I HAD to upgrade to other methods.

Congradulations on a fun and exciting project!

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

14. I really like the grille.....very nice proportions. You, sir, have a good eye! :D

15. 1320/150

1320/150

cool build. Best use I have seen for a late 50's plymouth four door in years!!!!

16. Ralph

Ralph

Cool build! I love the "making something out of nothing" threads. I think James D has a great eye for style, though. I thought the car's sides were too blocky, but James' little cuts to the sides really add something. Love those headers!
    Ralph

17. sonim38

sonim38

hey fury jim,,, u should really do a tech on your 4 door to 2 door conversions. people would shit.lol

18. 38standard

38standard
    from il.

I think FuryJim just stole the show.... When you first started cutting the quarters off it looked a bit scarey but as you went along I seen that you ment buisness. This has been a very entertaining thread and I cant wait to see this car finished. Keep up the good work...

19. Stone

Stone

20. damnfingers

damnfingers

Man, you just made me change from pro-choice...that was one abortion that never should have been allowed to happen.

But you are kidding that it took you 5 days to make that POS, right? :eek:

21. Toner283

Toner283

Racrdad, what are you thinking of for an insert? an egg crate style or some sort of mesh?

Looking better all the time, keep it up.

22. Racrdad

Racrdad

I have checked out those sites and am blown away by the skills those guys have. Hopefully one day I will posess 1% of the skill some of those guys have.

Really up in the air about the insert, been looking at pics but just undecided. Somebody throw some inserts pics on here if you have some handy. Thanks!

23. C/Gas55

C/Gas55

Two words: RAT ROD :eek:

24. Shobra

Shobra
    from SLC, Utah

NO no no they have red wheels not blue it can't be. :D Some rear fenders would help get that stink off of that thing, and then some shinny paint. or least not flat black, anything but flat black.

And then add a front bumper.

And then get rid of the semi stack exhaust........ ah to heck with it,

it's a FAT RAT.... just shoot it.

25. How about seeing the finished, painted, upholstered, chromed, custom car before you hang a name on it?

26. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I had a go at the insert.
    I was thinking you might be able to use the original grille-halves of the Plymouth and lay them either horizontally or vertically in the grille opening, and then a bit recessed to the back about 2 inches orso. You could also use 1" dia. chromed tubing perhaps.
    Don't forget the '58 Plymouth "V" in the grille!

Although a bit un-inspiring perhaps if you ask me, here are some photoshop ideas to get you 'started' ;)

Attached Files:

27. robleticia

robleticia

I can't make up my mind if I like the first pic or the third pic! Doug, hopefully you saved the V?????

28. C/Gas55

C/Gas55

"IF" it was gonna get finished, painted, upholstered, chromed and so on......but I don't think that's the case here.

29. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I like the first one I think. The middle one looks like an antique car. The third looks "busy" to me. Any other inserts? :D

30. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I think it's 'too' easy to get into an English roadster-look with a front end like this.
    Perhaps it would be better if a more showrod-like grille was thought up for this ride. But I wouldn't do anything 'off-center' here. A nice symmetric insert would be my choice.