Register now to get rid of these ads!

57-60 Ford Trucks,what new parts can I use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod60F100, Aug 1, 2010.

1. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Ok since I drug my 60 home from Ala. finally I checked over things and realized
    1. Rads shot,what other truck rads can I use?
    2. pass. front springs broke
    3.the tailites,what lenses can I use? trailer ones?
    4.The Generators froze up and looks like its wasted,how hards it to find a replacement generator for a 292 Y block V8?
    5.can I buy a brake rebuild kit for my truck?
    6. the trans is broke.what kind of trans do I have and is it hard to rebuild and find parts for?
    7. the 272,292 & 312 Y block V8,are they worth rebuilding?
    Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

2. ParkerFya

ParkerFya

6. Get a T10 4 speed
    7. Yes worth the rebuild, then after rebuild mate the T10 to it.

3. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Hell I'd love a T10 but I can't even find one for my 74 Gremlin "AMC used the T10" I was thinking of going with a Toploader 4 speed maybe?

4. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I believe you'd need an adapter for the top loader. If I remember correctly, those trucks used a T98 behind the Y-block. The three speed would be easy to overhaul, there is an outfit that sells all the stuff you need. Can't remember off the top of my head but I'll look thru some of my old receipts. I want to say Jackson something or other. Maybe another Hamber can provide that info.
    The Y-block is definitely worth keeping. I had one in my '56 F 100 for years and it never let me down.They sound great with headers too.
    For lenses and lots of other N.O.S, parts, check out Dennis Carpenter Reproductions or Mac's Antique Parts, both on the internet. NPD sells stuff too, but alot of their stuff comes from overseas, and I'm pretty disappointed in the quality. 'Course, it is your nickel.
    The radiator can be re-cored. If you go that route, you don't need to worry about modifying things to put another radiator in, such as height, inlet & outlet positions, all that crap.
    For springs, any competent spring shop should be able to hook you up if you give them the dimensions, and a generator can be rewound at any competent motor shop.
    Sorry to be so long winded, but I've been in your position. The '56 that is my avatar sat for about 20 years before I got it, and it needed most of the stuff you need.
    Better yet, just ship the truck over to me, I have a 429 on the engine stand just waiting for a new home. :D

5. If yours can't be repaired locally, advertise on this forum for a replacement. Many times good radiators (as well as other parts) will be sitting around someone's shop in the way. Lots of good people on HAMB that like to help a bro out.
    If you're thinking daily driver, adapt a one wire alternator like THIS.
    Probably cheaper to buy the parts locally. Master cyl, wheel cyls., shoes, drums should be available still at most auto parts stores.
    Again, ask around on this forum, post a wanted ad in the classifieds. Unless you're in a hurry, one will come to you. At your price!
    Tough and dependable.

6. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Thanks everyone so far for the help. thats why the HAMB rules! :)

7. rickstevens

rickstevens
    from usa

hello there.. thanks for sharing this.. i encountered your post because i am also experiencing a similar situation and i was also in need of a replacement generator but i was able to find one on the internet by posting in a forum.. just click through recommended sites.