Register now to get rid of these ads!

57-60 F100 Front Wheel Placement on Lowered Truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DanIam, Sep 28, 2010.

1. DanIam

DanIam

Question for anyone with a lowered 57-60 F100....

OK, so the general concensus is that when a 56 F100 is lowered, the front wheels need to be moved forward about 1.25" to look centered. My question is regarding the 57-60. I have searched to see if there is a general concensus on the fridge, and I can't find any mention of moving the front wheels forward.

Anybody care to share their experiences? Do the front wheels need to be relocated, and if so, how much and in which direction? There are some great looking lowered Fridges here on the HAMB, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. squirrel

squirrel

It has to do with the shape of the wheel opening. The 57-60 is pretty much symmetrical. On wheel openings that are sloped more on the rear, you have to move the wheel so that the center follows the slope of the wheel opening as it moves up.

Hard to explain...but if you look at a side view of stock height and lowered trucks, you can see what happens. The 58-59 chevy trucks are real bad about this.

3. mopar362000

mopar362000

On most older vehicles the wheels will look to far back when they are lowered.do a trail fit then stand back 20 or so feet see how it looks.Jimmie King

4. Mattilac

Mattilac

I think all the F100s from '53 through '64 could use an inch forward when lowered. I'm moving my centerline forward 1.25" on my '64. They look so much better that way.

5. I was searching for something else and came across this thread. I moved the c/l forward 1" on my '60 F-100 when I put the MII in it.

In hindsight, if I ever do it again I'll go 2"

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

I lowered my '60 about 14" ( it was a 1ton on 16" wheels )

And I moved the centerline foreward.

How much depends on the tiresize and how much you lower it.

I compressed the springs to rideheight, andd moved the Camaro subframe around untill I was happy with the sideview.
    Squared it all up and welded it in.

truck 103.jpg

truck 104.jpg

7. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

before........... Later, Bill
    [​IMG]

after dropped axle, mono leafs front and rear......
    [​IMG]

8. I think metalshapes' front wheel placement is about ideal to my eye:
    [​IMG]

I'd say his is about 2" forward from stock based on looking at mine in the garage. As I mentioned, I moved mine forward 1" from stock. Mine is 7" from the bottom of the rocker to the ground, which is about 1" higher than ideal suspension geometry on the MII as installed...when all settled in, it sits just strong of 6"

[​IMG]

9. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

Moved mine ahead 3/4"

Attached Files:

10. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thanks.

I moved it quite a bit.

I've got about 5" of clearence under the rocker.

In this pic you can see that I didnt get the rear wheels centered in the rear wheelwells right,the first time.

I fixed that with some offset lowering blocks...

11. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

i moved the front forward 1.5 in and the back stock

Attached Files:

12. Matt, on my Crewlcab I went over two inches forward. Depends how low you go...:D

-Shiny

[​IMG]