Register now to get rid of these ads!

57' 392 and the wife

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by geoking, May 25, 2012.

1. geoking

geoking

Background:
    As I am about to wind up my 48' coupe, I have been trying to decide on what kind of project might come next? My wife and I have been married 25 years and I have now completed 5 projects. 4 of which were mostly done by using professional outside help. I rolled my sleeves up alot on the 5th one, but still feel I can do more by myself. What I have learned is that there isn't a right way or a wrong way as long as you achieve the desired result.
    Last week:
    I decided to build a 34 3 window with a 392. A few phone calls , a little internet searching and within a week I have found and purchased a 392 HEMI.
    This week: It arrived motor freight Wednesday evening while my wife was out with friends. As it was pouring rain, the driver was nice enough to back up the driveway to off load the pallet in my upstairs garage.

Last night was good weather and dry pavement to get the forklift out of the big shop, up the back driveway and move the Hemi downstairs to the rear of the shop.

After supper, my wife asks me where I am heading and I let her know I am going to get the forklift to move that heavy pallet that FedEx dropped off the night before. She says "sounds fun" can I go for a ride. SURE! We unlock the shop, and both hop up on the seat for the drive up and around the house. All smiles! I pull up to the skid and I am in the process of lifting the forks when the Mrs. reaches over and turns the ignition off. I start to ask why ...but it's too late. She is now standing in front of the pallet. "I know what that is!" ..."it is another engine". Hmmm, no comment from me. LOL. She goes on to explain to me, " I know what this means, where's the car it's going in?" Me: make that sheepishly me, "You know that picture of the 3 window I had you get framed for me? Well, I love that chopped, channelled and louvered car so much that I am going to make one just like it."

Honey? Where are you going?.. Don't you want to ride back down the hill with me? ....honey ? baby? Where are you going? Oops! Maybe by the time I actually find a 3 window coupe, I might be out of the doghouse. smile

Humbly yours,
    George
    256 520 4401 cell

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  2. shadams

shadams

Hahaa! Yea, right now my wife is all gung ho with me, but the other day a bad ass 46 Chev truck came to my attention for a low price and I actually asked and got shot down before I even finished the sentence. She said, "we already have 2 money pits we dont need another" and hung up on me. She was right though, need to finish one before I get another. Good luck!!!

Either way, sounds like it will be bad ass...

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  3. Ole don

Ole don

I dont often make money on a car, but I never lost money on a car either. Remind her how much it costs to go fishing. Boat, 9Gs, trailer, 3G's, truck to pull it, 45G's, I have no idea what the actual fishing gear costs. What does it cost to go shooting? Bowling? Hike up Everest? Flying?

4. geoking

geoking

I remind her that at least she knows where I am. She calls the shop "my mistress" and doesn't like it. I take her on a date Friday night every week and spend one night a week watching the tv with her. I still keep the yard in good shape and never spend money we don't have. Working in the shop is quality time away from the office and allows me to stay sane.

5. Yeah, I had a wife once too....

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Maybe you need to take a break between projects?

7. jack orchard

jack orchard

George: you sound like a decent man. You deserve a Hemi (if you are going to get one, it should be a 392), a '34 Coupe, AND an understanding wife. Here's hoping she will reconsider, drop her opposition, and embrace you and your new project...jack

8. geoking

geoking

Actually...She's great! She puts up with me. As for having a break between projects, It will take a lot of time just collecting parts which will help a lot. I bet it takes me 6 months to a year to find a 34 3 window body that is both good enough AND affordable.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  9. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

You could always tell her it's going to be HER car......

10. i was telling the wife about a car and she says why dont you buy it?
    got 6 running rod and custom and one mostly project , told her i got too many, but i realized they are never the right ones , want that 53 merc lowered and chopeed , yet got too many model a"s too:eek: