Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 368 c.i. Lincoln motor. Which bell housing will fit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirt Dobber, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Dirt Dobber

Dirt Dobber

thanks for the help ive found a 352 fe bellhousing and will pull the motor out of lincoln in the next week to start the machine work. I will take pics of project and post

2. mongo4u2

mongo4u2
    from sparta

Also , if you want get trick, plus light , use the aluminum bellhousing off the automatic, weld with stud bungs with plate ,for the stick of your choice , use a modern hyd. throwout bearing .

cobrabreeze likes this.
  3. ocamocam

ocamocam

i have a 332 truck bellhousing with a T5 adaptor plate and fork.Also have an aluminum Harvey flywheel for sale,but need a light car for that...rod,Cliff

4. Dirt Dobber

Dirt Dobber

I finally got around to pulling the auto tranny and bellhousing off the motor. I put the FE bell up to the motor and it is very close, but no straight swap. Cornernfool seems to know his stuff now just need to fixture to center the bell to the crank!!

5. It (368CI) was offered as a Limited Police Option in 1956. Look for S in the VIN

In 1957, the Limited Police Option was the EDSEL 361, W-Code.

Just to help the guys that crawl through salvage yards... ;)

A HD truck bell is shown below-

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  6. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Thanks for the information, I am looking for a 368 and will put this info in my wallet when I go junk yard hopping. (Cornerfool, haven't forgotten you have one)

El Gallo: 2nd that Cornerfool knows his stuff, Mike is a good source of information when it comes to Lincoln Y's.

Just curious about something (Cornerfool chime in please). Will a MEL bell housing fit the 368 Y? I know MEL is for the big Lincolns (383,430,462's) but is it possible that FOMOCO kept the same bolt patterns?

Cornerfool: Started taking the 317 apart to get rebuilt, noticed that the flywheel (hydramatic) had some scoring like the front half of torus was hitting it, know anything about this?

7. The '58-'60 MELs have the straight FE pattern, so the same bell mods would be needed.

'61, '62-'65, & '66-'67 MELs all have various changes that make them individually unique, and they have a modified version of the FE pattern (and the '66-'67 also have an unusual trapezoid pattern as well)....but unfortunately none of them are Lincoln-Y friendly either.

Probably just as well, as the Lincoln transmissions are usually $$$, and have some swap issues in and of themselves.

8. Dirt Dobber

Dirt Dobber

What years was it offered in the HD truck bell?

9. The Lincoln Y? '54-'63.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  10. Dirt Dobber

Dirt Dobber

Was the Lincoln y standard equipment in the HD trucks

11. It depends on who is classifying the truck, as sometimes what one person considers HD is not what Ford considers HD (or somebody else for that matter).

As a general rule, you find the Lincoln Ys standard in the 750 class & up...in other words, F-750, T-750, C-750, or B-750, F-800, etc. There are some chassis, and/or years, where they were available in smaller chassis, for example the T-700, as an option. There were also documented cases where dealers installed them at a customer's request for fleet purchases & so forth.

Again as a general rule, Ford considered the F-500, 600, 700, etc. to be medium duty, & anything below to be light duty (this means the complete truck; FoMoCo considered certain parts to be HD regardless of what they were installed in).

12. cornernfool

cornernfool

El Gallo, or anyone else for that matter. I have the fixture to bolt to the crank to center the bell. It also doubles as a drill fixure to redrill the FE flywheel. I've got some time and money invested in this thing and I don't mind loaning it, but I would need a deposit to make sure it found it's way home. Hate to sound like a prick, but I could spend the rest of my life chasing down tools I've loaned out. PM me if you want to use it.

d2 willys, that trans and converter came from a 52 I had that had a 332 truck motor in it with ported 368 heads, intake and WCFB carb. I ran the motor, but could never drive the car as the fork lift driver made a pretsel out of the driveshaft. I saw the marks your talking about, and my only thought was the tourus did not fit tight in the 332 steel crank. I cant verify that as the 332 is in my car as a mock up with the FE bell and toploader. I know the fluid I spilled out of the trans all over the driveway looked clean and red, and not burned up. I have another 368 if your still looking, fresh bore, .040 over, isky cam. Let me know if your interested.

Take care, Mike.

13. Dirt Dobber

Dirt Dobber

Maybe a dumb question, But do you need the tranny for your fixture, or do you index off of the center of bell?

14. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Thanks Mike, that probably is what happened, I am still contemplating the 368 u have, but money is tight. What I will probably do is have the flywheel balanced to the 317 crank from motor I have. That will ensure that all is well on re-assembly. thanks for reply.:D

15. cornernfool

cornernfool

No, just a block with a crank in it that you can spin, and the bellhousing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  16. cornernfool

cornernfool

OK, pictures posted of the fixture. Will explain when i get home from work.

17. cornernfool

cornernfool

OK, if you look at the 3rd picture close you can see 2 allen screws, this holds the tube to the base. Use the base to redrill the FE flywheel by pushing the register into the flywheel, make a transfer punch, remove fixture, and drill 1 hole. Then reinsert the fixture into the flywheel, bolt it together with the one hole you drilled, and drill the 5 remaining holes. The fixture has hardened drill bushings installed so you can't hurt it. Flywheel done.

Now bolt the 2 piece fixture back together, bolt it to the end of the crank, check it with a dial indicator to make sure it's running true and your ready to start. I used a Lakewood bellhousing centering kit which contained 2 longer block dowells and a couple steel donuts that fit over them. Now to remove the old dowells I welded a long 5/16 bolt head down to them, droped a deep socket over the top and let the threads pertrude thru the socket. Drop a flat washer and a nut on it and start cranking, pulls them right out. Istall the longer Lakewood dowells.

Now bore the dowell holes out in the bell and spot face a large area around the hole you just bored. Elongate the bell mounting holes and spotface them. Drop the bell over the fixture, start your mounting bolts and washers and tighten them as you spin the crank and make sure there's no binding. Once the bell is tight and everything spins freely, check fixture runout once more just to make sure nothing moved. Drop the donut over the dowells and weld. You know have an FE bell that fits your Lincoln Y.

This would be real easy with a scattershield because you could weld all the holes and start from scratch. I'm going to get some cast iron round bar and fill the holes in my next one and start from scratch on it. I'm going to work on a fixture next to do this without the block. Just a flat drill fixture that indexes off the starter holes, and I can transfer punch into the blank bell the correct pattern. I just wished I had as much time as I do ideas. If you have a question, or a thought to simplify, lets hear it.

Thanks, Mike.:)

18. Dirt Dobber

Dirt Dobber

Did you use a old flywheel for the base of the fixture, or did you use a super spacer?

19. cornernfool

cornernfool

One chunk of aluminum, one large lathe, a few brain cells and a bunch of time. The whole thing was fabricated. I think I might have used the 368 flex plate to transfer the pattern. Braincells still sleepy this morning.
    Have a good day, Mike.

20. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Nice job Mike, looks good. Smart dude!

21. cornernfool

cornernfool

Thanks man. Now you know why I am hesitant to loan it out without some colateral. Take care, Mike.

22. aussiebill

aussiebill
    from Australia

I also have this b/housing to suit my 332 lincoln engine but was wondering what clutch fork fits, most of my ford forks just seem too short from pivot point to release bearing pivot area, anyone got a suggestion that really knows? thank you. bill.

23. cobrabreeze

cobrabreeze
    from Renton, WA

Hi Mike,
    I need to do all of this. Re-drilling the FE flywheel, I could use the help.
    Thanks
    Fred

24. @cobrabreeze , Mike has not been here for several years, and I could find no reliable contact info.

25. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Thanks for the info!!

26. cobrabreeze

cobrabreeze
    from Renton, WA

Hi Mike,
    I would like to give that a shot; it is time for the 368 to join the 56 Sunliner. Where are you located?
    Fred

27. cobrabreeze

cobrabreeze
    from Renton, WA

Thanks Phil

I may get Ross at QuickTime to help, but I need to get him any bellhousing (even from an automatic).
    Fred

28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know 4 speeds are nice but since there are current adapters for automatics it’s probably a better choice today. I almost put a 200r behind my Y block using One of the Wilcaps but a Cruise-O-Matic became available. No matter what it seems $$$’s anyway you go.

37slantback likes this.
  29. cobrabreeze

cobrabreeze
    from Renton, WA

I'll go ahead and setup an FE style 4-speed bell and put a short input in a TKO/TKX 5-speed for my 56 Sunliner and keep my Overdrive script on the trunk.
    Fred from Dark Horse

Attached Files:

prez likes this.