Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 pontiac disc brake conversion??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31bowtie, Aug 16, 2011.

1. 31bowtie

31bowtie
    from maine

I would like to upgrade my 56 Pontiac Star Chief to disc brakes on the front. If someone has done this and has advice I would appreciate the help! Thanks!

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

Damn, he beat me to it!

4. bryan6902

bryan6902

5. chiefdan

chiefdan

I'm looking to do the same thing for my 57. Here are some other options for 55-57 Pontiac's - though with the the Performance Online kit you will end up with a different bolt pattern (5 x 4 3/4) on the front than the standard rear (5 x 5).

http://www.performanceonline.com/1955-57-Pontiac-Fullsize-Car-Disc-Brake-Conversion-Kit

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/33060633...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_553wt_1344

Bryan,
    Did you stick with your original master cylinder and pedal setup? BTW, I read your entire build thread a couple of months back. Inspiring stuff!

Dan

6. bryan6902

bryan6902

If you go back you'll see that I eliminated the factory heater box and switch to a aftermarket pedal set-up with a dual resevoir master.

You do end up with different bolt patterns. Not a big deal with steelies and caps. I actually found a uni-lug steel wheel for a spare. And you have to run 15's to clear the calipers.

Thanks for the nice words on my build. Can't wait to get it out in another month or so.

Bryan

7. chiefdan

chiefdan

Doh! I knew I should have referred back to your thread before I asked. A professional looking job. Thanks

8. IRISH13

IRISH13
    from SoCal

ABS Brakes in Orange county,Ca sells a disc brake kit for Pontiacs. They go onto the stock spindles.

9. rcboals

rcboals

After contact with ABS I will not be goin with them just my gut feeling. Contacting Scarebird again.

Pic below is my car since 1983.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  10. I can tell you mark at scarebird make a great kit.

11. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

So would I. We did a 55 last summer, required a special hub and trimmed rotor coupled with a cheater Metric caliper to fit the stock 15" rim. Customer emailed last week telling me of ABS' setup - supposedly a 80's Caddy caliper (2-1/2" bore) with "secret" 12" rotor. I don't see it fitting, nor the caliper being a good hydraulic match for the stock manual master...

12. SusnaWit

SusnaWit
    from new ryork

They take your spindles and machine them to accept tapered roller bearings.[​IMG]

13. 55Ponchochief

55Ponchochief

Im sure Sacrebird sells good part. But Check out the guys at performance online . Picked up discbrak kit with booster and master cylindr for my 55 Chieftain.It stops as good as my new truck (non abs stop of course). They are in Fullerton .Ca As to the guys at ABS meet them at our local swap meet nice guys way to overpriced.

14. 55yak

55yak

To 55Ponchochief,
    Did you have to lose your 5x5 bolt pattern on the front? Did you have to lose your stock firewall mounted heater core to mount the booster/master cylinder combo?
    55Yak

15. It would seem kind of foolish to me to attempt to run discs with the stock master in the first place. Most disc/drum setups use a dual chamber master made for those applications.

But that is kind of a pain in the ass on these, there's not a lot of room to work with unless you move/eliminate the firewall defroster core and put a hanging pedal unit in there.

16. OK, I guess I am confused. According to Scarebirds website they say no machining is required with their adapter plates and using the parts they list but a lot of you guys are saying machining is required.

Also, does anyone know which brake hoses are needed to do the conversion?

17. ClassicDriver

ClassicDriver

18. I'll find out tomorrow/wednesday. I am just awaiting my front end kit from Kanter and then the new front end will be installed with the Scarebird brackets and disc brake components. Granted, mine is a 57, but the kit is listed as the same.