Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 56 olds motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robtlor, Aug 10, 2016.

1. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

Looking at buying a 56 olds 88, am not familiar with what the motor and automatic transmission is in this car. Can someone tell me what it would be. Thanks, Bob

2. gonzo

gonzo

324 cubic inch. 56 was the best year for the 324s as they had the best heads (#10) Should be good for about 230 hp stock. Ross Racing is a great source for hop up info.

Pretty sure it will have a jet a way transmission attached.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Deluxe 88 is a 2 bbl., Super 88 4 bbl.
    Some early production Deluxe 88s still used the slant pan hydro until Jetaways were in full production, so look closely. If it's a 4 bbl., it's probably a Jetaway.
    Here's a tidbit everybody'll want to know -
    Orange owner's manual for dual range
    Blue owner's manual for Jetaway

mgtstumpy, Speedy Canuck and oldsjoe like this.
  4. belair

belair

I had a 55. GREAT engines, I liked the 55 trans better than the 56. Got a new shortblock if you need it.

5. F&J

F&J

Base 88 was the old hydramatic, even on pillarless hardtops, not just sedans

super 88 and 98 was Jetaway trans

my 56 base 88 4dr Holiday hardtop was Hydra and a 2 barrel, being an odd model Rochester

engine numbers hand stamped on the deck surface near exhaust port; the 56 hydra and the standard shift were both the old V code prefix carried over from 1955. The new Jetaway engines (which did not need a drilled crank for a pilot bushing) were the new A code prefix

oldsjoe and 302GMC like this.
  6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The Jetaway has Park on the shift indicator, the Hydro used reverse as park. Hydro much better !

Johnny Gee and Dave Mc like this.
  7. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

Car has 4bbl so is a super 88 and most likely has the jet away trans. Trans does have a park position on the shift lever. Was the 4bbl a Rochester? This is a 4 dr car body in good shape very little rust has been stored inside for 25 years, will need floor pan repair. Is it worth 900. Bucks? Thanks, Bob

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

JUMP !!!!
    It's a 4GC Rochester.

Johnny Gee and firstinsteele like this.
  9. Did you say 900????? Good lord get it in your garage before someone snaps it up on ya. Then get some pics on here of that deal or as you know this never happened......

Johnny Gee, Dago 88 and Dog_Patch like this.
  10. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

It will be at my place latter today. Can not get full image picture to load. 20160809_202405.jpg 20160809_202342.jpg

11. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

I guess it worked after all, worst thing about car is someone put a stupid leaking sun roof in it, will get removed. Bob

12. F&J

F&J

I know it's not a 56 convertible, but geez, if it sat out by the road with a huge 900 price ...it should have sold the first day. Can you even buy a dented up 86 celebrity for that?

I think the economy is broken.

kidcampbell71, clunker and volvobrynk like this.
  13. von Dyck

von Dyck

The earlier 324 camshafts will not fit the '56 324 engine. They used the larger journals like the 371s.

14. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

15. I still kick myself in the ass over a '56 Holiday I passed up when I was 18. Owner was a friend of mine going in the service in '73, told me he'd take $100. I'm scrambling borrowing money from everyone... he calls and says the engine is seized. Keep in mind I saw this car run and move a year prior. Turns out it was a bad starter connection, new owner found it and drove it home.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Also cranks from hydro motors are drilled for pilot bushings, jet away generally aren't. Adjustable rockers are starting to get difficult to find, took me a year of fairly serious hunting.

17. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Looks pretty good.Please keep us advised as you work along.Are you figuring on trying to get it running pretty much as is?

18. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

Planning on trying to get the 324 running and see how that works out. If it has a big problem I have a couple other motors that could go in it. Will just have to see how it works out. This is to be a cruiser for my son (32 years old) and three little kids. Should work fine for him. Bob

clunker likes this.
  19. belair

belair

Is it a bad omen that its at a transmission shop? Better learn about those Jet-Aways.

20. dan griffin

dan griffin

If there is no park It is and old style hydro. You lucked out. I know they built a few super 88s with hydros, I have seen some.

21. dan griffin

dan griffin

The engine may have a flat cam. 56-58 motors had more spring pressure and flat cams were not uncommon.

22. There are adapters to swap in a newer transmission.

belair likes this.
  23. Rand Man

Rand Man

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If it does have a jetaway you can play with them to get them to shift a little firmer.

25. I yanked the 324 out of my 56, 98 convertible [trans busted] and put it in a $10 cherry-pie 50 ford. Used the old ford trans [big mistake] but It's been 60 years ago...don't remember any details.
    So, Rob...did you ever buy that black super 88? Without a lifetime guarantee on that hokey-ass jetaway I damn sure would NOT let my grand kids get over 5 miles from town in it.....
    Signed, the guy who splattered his 56 jetaway all over the street and had to walk home.
    PS, the 56 motors with 4 barrels are 240 HP.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. Rand Man

Rand Man

I could use all information on the Jetway. I'm looking at a 56. The owner says the trans has "problems".

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. gonzo

gonzo

@Rand Man I gave away a jet a way last year because the thing was practically worthless. If you need to replace it you can probably find a donor pretty easily.

28. Rand Man

Rand Man

I'll have to do some research myself on this swap. I've seen it listed somewhere when the BOP bell housing came out, but I don't remember.

I haven't bought the car yet. Just trying to see what I'd be getting into.

29. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

You guys realize we're talking two different Jetaways here ... the '56 - '64 4 speed version is still the good son, and the '61 - '64 Roto/Slim Jim forced on the Olds & cheap Pontiac buyers is the bad one.
    A good 4 speed Jetaway hydro lasts as long as a Dual Range.

30. Rand Man

Rand Man

All I know so far is, the guy says it does all manner of evil things. Sometimes almost acceptable. Sometimes won't get going, misses second gear, etc.

I called about it 700R4 conversion. $4200. That's hard to justify spending on a four-door sedan. I'll call the local shops about repair.