Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 56 Olds Holiday & Pals!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

About a year ago a pal brought by their 56 Olds Holiday for us to do engine work, We decided to see what was up with this car, we started it up and it ran like poop, It was put on the back burner until we could get it in for a tear down.

Well, while we were at it we just decided to check what the heck was making this car run so bad, It required a cylinder leak down check and a compression test, I beileve the HAMBers father,(who just recently passed away) did one and before it came on over and determined that #6 exhaust valve had leakage. It read zero! We confirmed it as well and tore it down.

One of the reasons it was on the back burner was that we decided to gift this person power steering for the Olds which it didn't have when it left from the Lansing, MI. factory 1956. Well we wanted a factory OEM looking/feeling unit to put on this Holiday. It took fellow HAMBer Juicy Gee;) a little while to round up the exact era correct components. Thanks to him and The HAMB, these parts were found and this unit is complete and functional w/o leakage.

We tore it down at the OK Car-ral, better known as Ozzie's Speed Shop in Alhambra. Took the heads in for a thorough reworking and modifying.
    The end result was a job well done by another pal! Now I must say that this particular Olds was instrmental in the initial rallying for saving Johnie's Broiler back in 2002 to 2008.

We spent many mornings at breakfast having coffee and discussing our ideas as to how to just go about getting this job done & fitting into all of our busy schedules. I must say that this is the best thing about just having the HAMB and Pals! Everybody just would drop on in if they could and lend a hand.

I think that we completed the project today!:D:D:D. It ran great! Steered great and looks better than I thought it would!!!! I'm proud to say that I and the owner have friends like J.Gee, Ozzie,Dennis and Joe,in addition to Hector at the Vintage Machine Shop-L.A.

So you've been reading wondering who's car it is?
    [​IMG]
    It's Adriene's!!!!!! She's had it 20 yrs. Loved and cared for it all this time, drove it with dad by her side and of course her very talented husband John E. who shot so many images of the Broiler and is now looking to be able to cruise it over to her beloved Broiler and just sit in it and have a coffee and a burger!;)

With all of our HAMB and Broiler Pals of course! Thank You guys for being able to help get A's Holiday back @ the Inn!, Drive-In that is!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. Kevin, your welcome. As you know, I didn't have the answer as to how to convert the Olds at the time when you ask me. Never touched, let alone seen under the hood of an Olds to know the answer. I only assumed that it was like a Tri Five Chevy but it wasn't.

Just like you, I had to asking question's. You see, we all don't have the answer's but the answer's are out there. As written by the author Robert Pirsig. He remarked to himself while walking the streets of New York how complex the Giant city was and even more complex was the underground world that supported it. How could anyone make that whole net work work, and worse yet, how do you fix it if breaks. Robert writes " The Giant of his dreams. It was spooky how it all worked with intelligence of its own that was way beyond the intelligence of any person. He would never know how to fix one of these systems of wires and tubes down below the ground that ran it all. Yet there was someone who did. And there was system for finding that person if he was needed, and a system for finding that system that would find him." So, Thank's to system aka HAMB the project got done.

In wrapping this up, the following links will show all the HAMBer's involved (as credit's in a movie) for getting all the answer's needed. Thank you

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654079&highlight=olds+power+steering

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658885&highlight=olds+power+steering

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=728060&highlight=leak+down+test

3. You'll never know what you might see on KCET.

Visiting guy's and gal's, this is the actural car painted by Danny Heller and not just any old painting. It was aired earlier this evening. Very cool!!!!!

Click here > INTERVIEW: Danny Heller-Painter

<STYLE>.fullpost{display:inline;}</STYLE>
    <TABLE style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; MARGIN-LEFT: auto; MARGIN-RIGHT: auto" class=tr-caption-container cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center">[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" class=tr-caption>Oldsmobile</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012