Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 56 olds front door glass question.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by oldsfrench, May 30, 2018.

1. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

hello guys ,
    ( sorry for poor english : i'm french )
    a few months ago , my wife slapped the front passanger door too high ( loud ?) , and now the glass is a little broken ,.
    a good friend of mine who as a 1956 4 door sedan chevy bel air at his backyard wants to give me a good front door glass he don't use ..
    my question is : are the front door chevy glass same as mine ( 1956 olds 98 4 doors sedan ) ?

thanks for your answer ...
    best regards from france
    Eric.

2. Squablow

Squablow

Unfortunately no, the door glass from the Chevy will not fit the big Oldsmobile. A door glass from a 56 Cadillac or Buick Super/Roadmaster might fit, but the Chevy doors are much smaller.

Fortunately, having a new piece of flat glass cut to replace your broken one is very cheap, any glass shop can make one.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

Thanks for your quick answer Squablow
    i saw on another french forum they was same , but still had a doubt.
    with your answer , i know now the chevy glass don't fit on my door..
    i think you are right , flat glass is cheap , so i will go at glass shop soon....
    Eric

belair likes this.
  4. JUST DONT LET YOUR WIFE SLAP YOU....LOL

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You should be able to get new glass from any auto glass shop. It is flat safety glass, the glass shop can cut it for you.

I know you are in France but older European cars used flat glass and I believe trucks still do.

6. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

ha ha , don't worry , i already slapped wife's butt for punishement .....:D
    [​IMG]

7. Make sure your glass runs (channel) are in good shape. Worn out glass channel is the biggest cause of broken door glass, plus old door glass is brittle.

8. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

9. Steele Rubber has a lot of good stuff for our cars. I got my channel through Restoration Specialties, the fuzzies from another Ford vendor. One of those things you do once on an old car.