Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 Mopar Ignition

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big-O, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Big-O

Big-O

Wanting to get some input here. I am considering using a Jaccobs Mileage Master on my '56 Plymouth. I know 2 people who have used them. '68 Dodge and a '63 Buick. The point systems on those are a bit more advanced than mine. Does anyone know if it will function correctly on a 12V P28 inline 6? If not does Pertronix or anyone else make something to heat up the spark on the P20 230cid Flatty?:confused:

2. 73RR

73RR

Do a search...one of the guys over at www.p15-d24.com recently modified a slant 6 dizzy for his 230 and layed out all of the details. It was a real nice tech thread.
    I thought it was also posted here but can't seem to find it. BTW, the p15 site is off-line until later this day.

3. supervert

supervert

I'm getting ready to put in megajolt in my 51ply, the goal is to mount everything so it doesn't look much different than stock.
    Rightnow I keep chewin through points.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The easiest and cheapest swap is to use a Ford thick film ignition module with your stock distributor.

The Ford module will work with points.

I don't know what a Jacobs Mileage Master looks like but if it will work with points it will work with your distributor. Not sure what you mean by "more advanced".

There is no need to change the distributor if it is not worn out.

5. Big-O

Big-O

Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate the info! Thanks guys.

6. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Pm thrashingcows on here......he did the dizzy mod that 73 RR is alluding to.:)

7. 51-59 Plymouth's used a couple of different distributor variations, so "we" (PerTronix) do not list a "Kit number" for them. BUT we do make kits for them. We just need a little more info to make the part number recommendation. You can call our tech line with the distributor make and model number (on the side of the distributor) or use the following lookup http://pertronix.com/support/ignitor-kit/default.aspx
    If that fails, PM me your info and I'll get the number for you.
    Don

8. daliant

daliant

9. 73RR

73RR

10. Big-O

Big-O

Thanks for all the input. I have been in touch with pertronix. Looks like they make an Ignitor for it. The rest of the distributor should be fine, hell there is only 54,XXX on the motor

11. Big-O

Big-O

I sent the number to pertronix. I think I wrote it down wrong. They sent me back a message back with the correct number and I need to check it and make sure. Not a surprise, it is on the bottom and angled back toward the firewall. So my head upside down and an old part # plate.

12. Big-O

Big-O

Found what I needed! Hell Yea!