Register now to get rid of these ads!

'56 IH S-110 beater rod...newb project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beau, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Thats nice mate good job on the project- I used to have a wellbody pickup now just have a ah-120 truck. Well im still looking after the pickup, my old man bought it from me for $500, and it's still sitting in the paddock. Over her in aus we have the wellbody type- did you guys have them?

2. Beau

Beau

Did some more work today. I removed the rivets holding the spring mounts and shock mounts. I also pulled the drive shaft and found a worn u joint.

I removed the springs all together and pushed the axle forward into it's new location. I'm waiting for an order from suicide parts to start the rear suspension. Next step is to weld in the notches and box a few areas of the frame.

I will get pics this coming week.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  3. Beau

Beau

The new stance-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. looks good! I love Internationals

5. Beau

Beau

Lots of work done! Winter is finally gone.

-New arms welded up and tacked in.
    -I modified the old spring mounts to hold the arms.
    -notch tacked in
    -I modified spring mounts from Speedway into bag mounts and tacked them on to the axle.
    -Measured the axle so I can bring it in and get it shortened.
    -Purchased 2600 pound bags, valves and a tank off CL for less than $150

I have a lot of rust removal and frame clean up to do. Then final welding and paint. I hope to be able to drive it to the GSTA show next weekend.

Once again, it's ugly. But I have learned a lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Beau

Beau

Pics (I really need to stop smoking)...

We are heading to Discount steel tomorrow so I can get a bar for the panhard. I really can't wait to start getting the box and running boards mounted.

I also got a wild hair and shortened the drive shaft :-ss

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the wood I pulled out of the dumpster in Uptown. I have just enough to finish the bed of the box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Beau

Beau

I modified the front spring mount to house the pivot. It fit nicely behind the running board and box and made it so I didn't have to modify either of them. The also fit the bushings I got from suicide doors perfectly (unplanned).

[​IMG]

After suffering through a pound of the crap wire from Home Depot and searching for a new place to buy good wire, I was successful. There was a welding shop called Metro Welding Supply off Central. Two pound rolls of flux core for $13 and it's GOOD wire.

After laying down two passes on the drivers side upper bag mount. Mmmmmm isn't flux core great?

[​IMG]

Seriously though, the welds are much better under the slag than the other crap. Side by side, you can see the difference. The color was better, less splatter and no porous welds.

[​IMG]

I purchased pieces to mount the box this past weekend. I have them mocked up with holes drilled.

I also scored this on CL this evening! One step closer to getting rid of the tilt column.

Turns, hazard, blinker lights and relays all in one.

[​IMG]

Had a couple hours today before and after work.

I drilled the holes and mounted the front box mount. I have two more to add now. It took a lot of measuring and eye balling. Not much progress.

I really need to find one big heim joint for the pan hard bar. I don't want to just order one, and I can't find them anywhere around here. I miss farm supply stores.

Cheap, easy and ugly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With my 'trunk'.

[​IMG]

I'm going to use the jerry can to cover the mounting bolts on the side of the box. I'm also going to mount the stock Chevy filler hose inside the jerry can so I can use that to fill the gas tank. Seems like the easiest option with what I have laying around (scored off CL for free). I have to figure out what sort of finish I want to do the the can though.

[​IMG]

8. Beau

Beau

Went to the Ace Hardware today. Picked up brass fitting, faucet hoses and hardware to install the rear tank and bags. I hope to have them bolted in tonight.

This is one side. The faucet hoses are rater at 150psi with a 2500 psi burst pressure. Good for a low pressure system and they look better than plastic hoses.

[​IMG]

9. Beau

Beau

10. Beau

Beau

Pogo went at it again under the dash today while I worked on other little things.
    In the beginning-
    [​IMG]
    During-
    [​IMG]
    The end-
    I tacked in a piece of sheetmetal on the floor for the time being. While I was at it, I removed the seat base from the seat I got from Crazy. It sits on the floor now. We still have a lot of wiring removal to do.
    Steering column is coming up.
    [​IMG]
    I did a lot of little boring crap today but I decided to do the gas filler set-up today. It needs to be aligned a bit, but I'm happy with the look.

I cut the bottom of the Jerry can out and was able to mount the stock Chevy filler in the opening of the Jerry can. It worked out quite nice. Two of the bolts that hold the box mount in also hold the tank on.

[​IMG]

Not much to hide inside the box.

[​IMG]

Twas a long day but I made a lot of progress. I need to find a damn heim joint so I can get the panhard in now.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  11. Beau

Beau

Two steps forward...one step back. It's not just a Paula Abdul song.

Pogo kick me in the shorts once again. He said we need to get the front clip figured out. Once again (I forgot to mention how awesome it is having this) I used the square tubing from Alienbaby's Chevrolopy project. Thanks again Jay! It has been a HUGE help!

We trimmed the frame horns to fit the radiator a little bit better and welded in a section of the square tube to make the front clip mount. I was having a problem with the radiator fitting before, but once the front end was aligned, it fit fine (I had to modify the hood a bit though).

Here's the step BACK.

All the movement of the radiator caused me to break the transmission cooler line. FUCK! It was already pushed back about 10" from stock. All the adjustments finely wore a hole.

My questions to the board (if you read this...)-

Can I eliminate the need for the trans. cooler going through the radiator and just buy an aftermarket cooler and mount it out front? Will that be enough to cool the trans.?

Second, is there a reason the lines are all metal or can I use rubber hoses? I'd like to just clip the lines were I need to and add rubber to an aftermarket cooler.

Third, are the lines metal because of high pressure? Is that why rubber hoses are not in place?

I have not looked into this one bit and I apologize if it's a dumb question.

Two more weeks until my first show, Frankensteiners Broadway Meltdown!

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man that thing has come a long way and looks great.

I don't see an issue with running an auxiliary trans cooler w/o running it through the cooler in the trans. A lot of guys do just that, especially if they tow with the rig.

a bit of proper rubber line on the end of the steel line is ok to get to the aux cooler. That is the normal way most guys do it.

13. Beau

Beau

Thank you much! I did a little more homework last night and saw that it would work! I appreciate the input.

14. AntiBling

AntiBling

Why do you need a panhard bar? You're not running a 4 link, your 2 link setup welded to the axle isn't a way I would've gone but you're not going to have side to side movement.

15. 49Dodgeboy

49Dodgeboy

cool ride and a unique one, I,ve always had a thing for INT. trucks.
    I started the resto on this one then sold it to a guy up in SD who finished it up..
    look forward to see yours finished.
    S201000_x3.jpg

16. Beau

Beau

Indeed. It is not a great set-up. I was basically copying a couple other designs I saw around. I suppose once I get the shocks in it may be fine. I dunno. This is my first time doing this and I don't really have any outside help.

17. Beau

Beau

Hey that looks good! I don't think I have seen a short box yet. I like it!

18. Beau

Beau

19. Beau

Beau

I got lucky today and found a pan hard bar and ladder bars on CL for dirt cheap. Half the panhard is mounted to the frame.

Transmission cooler hose is fixed.

Front clip is bolted down and solid.

I have 4 more days of work before the Frankensteiners Meltdown Sunday!

20. Beau

Beau

The panhard is done. The rear end is finished and the boards are in the bed. Now for the running boards and get the box angle and body lines a bit closer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a pic of the Honda I just hard tailed for a friend. My first one. We have about 32 hours into it from a bare frame. Hopefully kicking it over this weekend.

[​IMG]

Bicycle Speedo, low pro and wireless-

[​IMG]

Tractor headlight....cheap

[​IMG]

Closer

21. Beau

Beau

Well, you were right.

I drove it home this evening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wow its looking great ! I have followed your progress from the first post congrats!!

23. Beau

Beau

Ha! I was just reading yours and I love it! Some day I will have better metal working skills and more knowledge about these beasts. I enjoy your build as well! Keep up the progress and pictures!

24. Beau

Beau

I made it to my first show! These are from the Hot Rod Happening show put on by the Traditionals, MPLS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The truck drove good. I have a lot of little things to take care of now. First on the list- finish the floorpan. That shit gets hot!

25. Beau

Beau

I finally found a nice addiction to the IH grill. While I was at Back to the 50's I stumbled upon a 1955 Buick Roadmaster grill with the center spear. When I got it home I unbolted it from the mesh and held it up between the two turn signals. It fits almost perfect! While I was at Car quest the other day I noticed a small mirror from afar. The price was cheap and when I got it home, the mirror fit right into the opening in the spear. :p

[​IMG]

Now if I can only find a bumper. I found a few option. Either mild or Wild.

'54 Cadillac? (A little much)

[​IMG]

'55 T-Bird rear bumper and add some teeth? (for the front)

[​IMG]

Latest photo from the Frankensteiners show.

[​IMG]

26. Beau

Beau

Ahhhh, and a project Poverty Flats would be proud of. It is going to be finished this week and debut at The Bearded Lady Motorcycle show in MPLS.

Hacked up '46 Schwinn Excelsior, hack up 3hp Briggs and a lot of scrap metal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]