Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 56 gasser question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 87notch, Oct 23, 2013.

1. 87notch

87notch
    from kentucky

I have a 56 ford mainline that I want to make a gasser. Did some searching here and see that a lot of guys used an econoline axle back in the day. I want I keep mine as traditional as possible so what other axles will fit if I can't get my hands on the econoline piece? Also i have a 352 and a 292 which would be more correct?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Watch this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iquX9koxn1c I wish they had done a voice narration of the build instead of the music but it should help give you some ideas.I would do the FE build hang out here for a while too:http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/ Like most forums you might be told "use something bigger" but the 352 is still going to make some good torque and can be built to perform and still be "traditional" you just need to hunt down some period parts.Click here too:http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/search

3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

4. Some of us (neighbors & I) in the rural Pontiac Michigan area did a couple of 56 Ford Builds in 1967-68 with early Econoline axles and they worked out great. Ours had 427's with dual 4bbls, just 2 mustang bucket seats for the interior and we had a great time on Woodward Ave. Just solid steel wheels and 4.11 gears with a 4spd toploader. Kind of a sleeper of its time.

Wish I'd taken some pictures.

5. 87notch

87notch
    from kentucky

Thanks for the help. Pretty cool video but I really dont want to use a round axle or disc brakes.

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Just pretend they are not there and they are Econolines :D Some of those old gassers actually used Econoline axles with early Mustang discs adapted to them.If you do decide to use the Econoline drums have the shoes bonded with ceramic linings for better stopping,for about $50 you can do a '67 Mustang dual master swap.If you're going to Go you also need to Whoa!;)

7. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

If it were me, I'd got with the FE...if the 352 turns out not to be stout enough, you'd probably just be able to swap a larger one in without having to change mounts again. If you go with the 292, you'll likely spend a lot more money rebuilding and getting speed parts because there are less suppliers today. While I like Y blocks in a cruiser, I wouldn't put one in a car that I wanted someone else to believe was fast.

8. 87notch

87notch
    from kentucky

Another question, I've decided on the FE engine so would the 390 or a 460 be best? I am trying to build it to be accepted in any vintage race that I want to run without being turned away. I've watched many vintage races but never paid any attention to the classification or rules. Also open to suggestions for a vintage association rule books or forums where I can get this info. Thanks in advance.

9. 460 is not an FE engine ....the "385" series engines [429, 460 and the weird 370 truck engine] didn't come out 'till 69 so the 390 would be a better choice for a period correct gasser engine...and an F-1 or F100 axle would also work.

10. 87notch

87notch
    from kentucky

Rocky, I have a 52 F1 that I am building also. I've been itching to put a drop axle in so how close is the F1 to the econoline axle? That would give me a good reason to buy the drop for the pickup.