Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 56 ford wagon subframe options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noxided, Apr 10, 2017.

1. noxided

noxided

Has anyone done a front frame swap on a 56 ford? I've got a wagon and want to upgrade the front suspension without spending an arm and a leg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Mark T

Mark T

Why? What's wrong with the stock front suspension, they work great ride great and are easy to upgrade to disc brakes if that's what your after.

3. The '55-56 Ford front suspension is one of the toughest, longest-lasting (with decent maintenance) '50s front ends out there. The only real weak points are the idler arm if you have the factory power steering (the manual arm is near-bulletproof) and the front lower crossmember which likes to rust out.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Geez. Drop & Stop can set you up with a modern brakes. Aerostar springs can lower it or converted Granada spindles. Power steering is what costs money to convert and you will need a new column or shorten yours. Then there's the shift linkage... Lots of options and the ez- est is to leave it alone, but you do what you want. The only think I wouldn't do is graft on another frame just to modernize it. Good luck

5. The original front suspension under your car is basically the same as what is used to this day,you can buy a rebuild kit from Kanter and add disc brakes and come out much less than a mustang II kit. HRP

6. noxided

noxided

Thanks for the info guys I'm glad I asked before I did. My wife wants to use this as her daily driver with the kid so I just wanted to make sure it's easy to steer and easy to stop. It is going to have a new column with an automatic

7. noxided

noxided

I hate to admit it, but the other reason I wanted to do a swap is because I have a good LS motor laying around that I want to put in it. I hate putting chevy motors in fordd but it is practical for this

8. Mark T

Mark T

Granada power steering is easily adapted to the '55 and '56 Fords, I know most guys don't like them because they have been known to leak. Rebuild it, install it and your wife will be happy.

noxided likes this.