Register now to get rid of these ads!

'56 Ford "Folding rear seat"???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ken Carvalho, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

I have been looking for a set of seats for my 2 door customline because the seats in it now are from ...SOMETHING?? I don't know what, but they are late model cracked up leather crap. So, I have been posting wanted ads on a few sites here and there and I got contacted by a guy with a rear seat that "FOLDS"???
    I'll copy and paste what he sent me, and can any of you confirm what he has???....

-----His email to me-----:
    I have a rear seat which was in a 1955 Ford 2 door sedan. It folds like a station wagon rear seat and appears to be a factory seat. Research indicated it was not a station wagon seat, but is a factory 1955 Ford seat. I'll sell it for $50.00

Thats what I got!!! He is going to send me some pictures as I think he said it was in a storage unit?? He has ALL the brackets, bolts, etc. He took it out of HIS '56 and put a T-Bird seat in place of it. I have searched and searched. Here, Google, and some Ford sites, but come up with NOTHING! Anybody have an idea of what he has??? I don't care if it "folds" like a station wagon seat as long as it will WORK AND LOOK GOOD!!!....Thanks, Ken

2. I've been around since they were new and a factory folding rear seat in a sedan will be news to me.
    The Wizzard

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

A folding rear seat was still available in 65 and its most likely a wagon seat like for the 65 with some special trim around the package shelf,I am going to get a wagon seat and make it fit in my 65 custom 500 even though I have no use for it but could come in handy if I were ever to buy something long and I am in that car.

4. Likely back seat from what was called a "business coupe".
    As I recall, my grandfather worked for a local utility and the stripped-down '55 Ford (probably Mainline) black business coupes were standard issue. Very utilitarian with rubber floor mats and the fold down rear seat for greater capacity.
    [​IMG]

5. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Could possibly be a middle seat from a wagon, but those had sort of a funky way of folding.

6. Plain Jane fleet purchase, special order ????

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I dunno, but if I were you, I'd pay the man for the seat and get it. It'd be very cool, and practical, to have a folding seat in your car. As far as "funky" folding goes, I've got '55 Ford wagon rear seat in my '51 Pontiac wagon, and if folds just fine, thank you very much...

Brian

8. I must just be Old and out of touch but what purpose does a folding rear seat in a Sedan serve? Am I missing something here?
    The Wizzard

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

A business sedan has no rear seat to fold. It has NO rear seat.

I'd bet a 20 that a rear seat cushions from a 4 dr sedan would be the same and easy to find but I could be wrong. I'd put another 20 that Ford never made a folding back seat for any sedan in the 50s.

The front seat could be from any 2 dr. I'm not certain about 56 but the 57 Fairlanes had a dip in the back of the front seat. The cheaper models didn't. Check to make sure. Check with Lebaron Bonny they make the original upholstery.

[​IMG]

My 56 Customline seat with custom covers. If you get a front seat make sure that it comes with the metal side covers. They are often missing but do show up on Ebay from time to time.

10. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I wasnt around in 56. I'd do it if it looks clean and you might be the only one.

11. Hell, for $50 bucks, it is worth a shot. if it turns out to be a wagon rear folding seat and you can't use it, sell it to me when u move to SoCal. I've been looking for one for a while now.

12. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

My memory might be off, but it just might be a folding rear seat for a station wagon. I remember my Dad had a 57 Ford ranch wagon (wish it was still around). I recall riding in the back leaning on the tailgate when someone turned left in front of us. The old man locked up the brakes and I slid into the back of the rear seat and it folded over. No accident and all we did was fold the seat back into position. I'd check that seat out.