Register now to get rid of these ads!

'56 F100 motor mount x-member or not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonesey, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Jonesey

Jonesey

So, I have searched around here and FTE and I have seen many different motor mount designs for a SBF. My question is should I get the "kit" that has the new crossmember with the mounts that attach to it or the standard mounts that weld/bolt to the frame? It won't be a drag truck or anything but there is not much difference in price.

Are there any disadvantages to the Midfifty's crossmember set-up vs. the standard doughnut frame mounts?

2. I personally wouldn't use the universal type mounts that have a rubber biscuit bushing, the frame rails are a little to widely spaced for that. Somebody did that in my '58- sometime in the 80's I'm guessing- and they were cracked when i got it a couple of years ago from all of the leverage.
    The motor was sagging enough that the exhaust manifolds were resting against the mounts.

Might not happen in every instance, but a tubular crossmember is the way to go IMO.

3. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

When i first did my '55 F-100 i made side mounts only with no cross member for a '60 389 Pontiac & 4spd.

Boxed the frame from front cross member to the original Trans cradle.

I drive like an idiot and it didnt take long to start cracking stuff Due to the Torque of the Engine.

Yes it was the Torque, Not shitty work before some know it all starts talking Shit.

I then put a slight ''V'' shaped DOM Heavy wall Tube from Mount To Mount and some gussets .... Been fine ever since, About 10 years.

Also, DO NOT cut out the Original Trans Cradle these trucks have as if you do the Steering box will start to twist up the frame... YOU NEED THAT CROSS MEMBER !

4. Jonesey

Jonesey

I was worried about the weakness in the frame, so I was leaning toward the tubular x-members for both the Transmission and engine. I mean I can pick up a corner and the amount of twist is a little worrisome. I figure the extra beef may help tighten it up a bit. I just wanted to see if there was a reason so many of the pics of mounts I pulled up in the search did not have an x-member.

All in all, I don't want to remove any of the factory x-members, just add to...

5. Orange Crate

Orange Crate

I assume you are planning to stay with the stock axle. If so, the tubular crossmember is the best choice and it uses ths standard Ford mount that is available about anywhere. Check with Tom Placer @ Flashback F-100's. he sells the crossmembers for the engine and tranny as a set. His # is 336-421-3979.

I'd also like to email you a flyer for the Great Smoky Mtn. F-100 Show in Pigeon Forge, TN the weekend after Father's day. My email is [email protected].