Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 f100 disc brake question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Twisted_Fate, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Twisted_Fate

Twisted_Fate

I wanted to do a disc brake set up on my 56 with a solid axle but i would like to know exactly what is involved in the swap as far as what calipers, pads, and rotors are going to be good replacement...also because i want to piece the kit together with dimpled and slotted rotors, but i obviously need to know where these would come from. thank you

2. ECI Hot Rod brakes. http://ecihotrodbrakes.com/

Great people to deal with, will answer all your questions. I believe the rotors are the same as a full size Chevy car from 69-72 or something (but they have optional bolt patterns). ECI will sell you the brackets only so you can source the parts on your own.

Also, look for ' Scott in Missouri' here on the HAMB. He has a great thread about doing a swap on a 48-50 style Ford, but should be the same kit/parts as a 56. Looks like a pretty straight forward swap.

3. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

4. willymakeit

willymakeit

Check out Mid Fifty. I used their setup, which I think is the same as ECI. No issues. The rotors depend on the bolt pattern. Mine are F150 rotors with GM calipers.
    The only thing to watch is the bearing spacer, they say to heat it with hot water and slide it on. Had to use a propane torch on mine. Not on thr road yet but getting there. Get the right M/C also.

5. You're right. For the 5x 5 1/2 patter they use 73-79 ford truck rotors, for the other bolt patterns they use other rotors. I was confused with the calipers which are the GM car.

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I used an ECI bracket kit on a '51 F1 back in the mid-late '80s. Scrounged the calipers/rotors. Good pieces, clear instructions, good fit. Call them and tell them what you want to do.