Register now to get rid of these ads!

'56 F-100 grill fit a '54 body?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classicfins, Dec 3, 2008.

1. classicfins

classicfins

I have just aquired a '54 F-100. Will the '56 grill bolt in and look right or is there a major difference in the opening around the grille? I would kind of like to run the '56 grille if it's a fairly easy swap and looks right.

2. turdytoo

turdytoo

If I remember right the back of the headlights will hit the core support. You'll need to either cut a hole for clearance or use 55-56 panels.

3. Brian W

Brian W

Yea it will fit, but you will need to use the 1956 air deflectors, behind the headlight, (see picture) or do what "turdytoo" said and relieve the ones you have. the headlights sit back further in the 56 grille. Also the parking lamps are different in 55 and 56 which changes the lower front valance. I'm sure you could get the 54 park lamps to work with that grille though.

[​IMG]

4. Mr Mayo

Mr Mayo
    from Huff, ND

The lower valance also has an extra pair of indents, for the vertical uprights of the '54 grill. If you swap in a valance from a 53, 55, or 56, plus the '56 air deflectors, you should be good to go with the '56 grill.

5. Brian W

Brian W

Shit I forgot about the funky 54 grille attaching at the valance too! I've never been a big fan of the 54 grille. I guess I didn't know the valance was shaped differently there. Learn something every day!

6. As mentioned, it is possible to cut your existing deflectors....but remember that they are there for a reason. Much better to use the '56 deflectors & alternate valance. ;) New deflectors are about $195/pair, but they are fairly easy to find used.

Alternatively, you could use a '53 or '55 grille with your existing '54 deflectors...I personally like the '55's Vee-style, but then I own one. :D The '55-'56 valance is different than the '53-'54, so the cheapest solution all around might be to use a '53 grille...and they look somewhat similar to the '56 in style.