Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 56 Chevy sedan rear window shattered in the heat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldpl8s, Aug 21, 2020.

1. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I have a thin car cover on my 1956 Chevy 150 sedan. The temps have been around 101 lately but we have had that many times. Yesterday my back window shattered and I assume it was the heat. Maybe I should have left the windows open a few inches but I don't want to let rats in. I ordered a new window and rubber seal from Danchuk. How hard will it be to install?

2. junkman8888

junkman8888

You are correct, you should have left the side windows down just an inch or two, won't let rats in but it will let the heat (and pressure buildup) out. That rear window is a "rope-in", there should be a tutorial on the internet. Makeing sure the window channel is cleaned of debris helps, marking the centerlines for the rubber and glass helps, spraying the window channel with soapy water helps, making sure you put the chrome strips in at the proper time helps, having a friend or two push on the glass carefully while you pull on the ropes helps, making "rubber pullers" to pull the rubber over the edge of the channel helps, reading the instructions helps.

scrap metal 48, clunker and loudbang like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having the rear window blow out because of the heat building up pressure in a sealed up car was pretty common in in Central Texas in the 70's when lived there.

4. Holy cow 101 is crazy hot!

5. chopped

chopped

Rat needs a hole as big as it's nose.

DIYGUY, belair, egads and 2 others like this.
  6. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Once you've had a rat run across your arm and jump off your shoulder you stay aware of them... I was running romax wire in this old bar, I was reaching into the wall to get grab the wire and there he was on my arm just as scared as I was.. I froze so he wouldn't bite or scratch me..

I've seen windows shatter from heat.. I always leave my floor vents open and the windows cracked 1/2" or so...

Algoma56 likes this.
  7. Years ago it was a hot summer and we were standing outside and we hear a BOOOOMMMM. Sounded like a shotgun going off close by. I looked around, the neighbor next door had a '65 Olds 88, black. She had the windows cranked up and the back window blew out. Lesson learned, I always crack my windows a bit on hot days.

If you have a good glass guy that works on old cars, have them do it. The last one I had done 5 years ago on my Ford ran me $75 and I bought the new gasket.

8. belair

belair

x2 on getting the stainless trim in at the right time. I think the top piece has to go in the seal before the window is installed, the bottom one bolts in from the trunk(?). Also, a 4 door sedan rear window will fit a 2 door sedan, if that will make finding one easier.

9. Squablow

Squablow

Not sure if it's different on a 150, but I put the rear window in my dad's 56 210 2 door sedan, there are clips that go on the rear window lip of the roof, then the window gets pulled in with the gasket on, then the upper moldings get pounded into the clips once the window is in. So the stainless doesn't need to be on the rubber like in some cars, but if you don't have those clips in place, the trim won't go on.

You might want to order some extra clips right away. I found it was much easier to get the molding to seat down nicely by using extra clips (like 2 more per side than the factory used) and also some of my dad's old ones were shot when we pulled the window.

If you weren't so far away I could hook you up with a good used rear glass, I have several from cars I parted. Nothing ever heat-shatters up here in the frozen North.

bchctybob likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

Stainless on the rear window goes in after the glass is in the car. The little corner pieces can be fun, they are held on with a nut from the inside.