Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 Caddy questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zippeay, Feb 12, 2007.

1. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Alright I just got back from looking at 56 cadillac, I'm not real up on the different models though because I never thought I'd actually be able to afford one. Anyway its a pretty big basket case but its all there. I does need rockers, some rear quarter work and a totally new interior. Everythings all original and the only thing I saw that's missing is the drivers side fender skirts and it needs new brake light lenses. It even has the original head light lenses unbroken. It also has the original engine and trans, even has the batwing aircleaner. But my biggest worry is how hard are parts to find? Does anyone have any good sites for parts? Do they make patch panels for it cause I'll probably need all new pans. Is 1300 bucks for this a good deal? I know without pics its kinda hard to tell but from what I've described is it worth it? O also all the glass is still really nice and clear, the drives side is cracked though. The only body damage is the passenger door is dented pretty good but its really fixable. Sorry I know your all probably tired of all these kinds of questions but I'd rather ask then buy a project that I can't finish. Thanks all -Zipp

2. Big Shane

Big Shane
    from Pearl, MS

I paid 650 for mine, but its a four door and I got it for parts. I think I might even have a fender skirt for ya if you end up needing one. Find someone with a bead roller, and you can make floor pans. So if its a two door, I would say yes its probably worth it. Check the rear bumpers, they are expensive to replace if you can find em and they rot out because the exhaust goes through it.
    Just my opinion.

3. flathead4d

flathead4d

Wow, that's a tough question. I guess it depends on how talented you are and how much time you have to devote to such a project. I do know this. My friends dad bought a new one in 1956 and it was one hell of a cruiser. Best riding car I ever rode in and would do 100 MPH plus without a second thought. We cruised many a drive in with it. Good Luck.

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Used body parts are about that's around for patching...I know of no one making patch panels...

The '56 rear bumpers ends are not that hard to find...the '54's and '55's are tuff and near impossbile..engine parts are accessibile...check Kanter, and Egge...suspension stuff is PST...any other parts (taillights) are available thru McVey Caddy Parts in Kansas...

Side glass is flat and easily cut...Windshield is expensive...$400-650.00...

$1300.00 is decent for a Coop Deville two door hardtop...too much for a 4-door...you didn't say what the model was...

R-

5. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

O sorry, got a little excited. Yeah its a 2 door coupe, the windshield and rear glass are purfect, the only glass thats needs to be replaced is the drivers. I have cut glass a lot so I know that's pretty easy. The rear bumper is really nice, I made sure to check it cause I heard they rot pretty good. The only patch panels I really need are rockers, I'm pretty good with body work. That's actually what I do as a second job, so that's not the problem. The only problem is the rockers are toast and my bar folder is only 3 feet long so its kinda hard to make my own rockers with that. I've replaced a lot of floor pans but never made my own, I know its not rocket sience I just want to get this rolling if I get it and buying them would save a lot of time. So no one sells replacement floors or rockers huh? Well that sucks... Thanks a lot guys
    O my buddy said it says deluxe on the dash if that helps, I'm not sure how many different models they made.

6. Nick

Nick

Rockers are easy you can usually find a set on e-bay for about 60 dollars. I got my last ones from this guy though http://www.classicfabrication.com/
    he list floor pans and rockers. The rocker king is also a good source for rocker panels. Rockers are about the only outside panels you can get for a cadillac unless you own a 59-60. I have no idea why it would say deluxe on the dash. If it doesnt say fleetwood, eldorado,seville or deville on it its a series 62 the base model. They are pretty much the same as a deville just a little less trim.

-Nick

7. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Thanks man, yeah I didn't really look at the dash too much. It probably said Deville he just didn't see it right I guess. Thanks a lot I'll check that site out. I'll probably go pick it up this weekend. I'll post some pics when I get her home, later -Zipp

8. I paid $850 for my 55 Series 62 2dr hdtp, minus engine/trans/master cylinder. But it had 2 front clips. I have some skirts and other parts left if you need some.

9. I paid $850 for my 55 2 dr. I have some skirts and other stuff left over fron mine.

10. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Yeah I'll let ya know bout those skirts, gotta see if I can get this bastard outa the mud first. Its rained like hell here for the last week and its riding on rims that are sunk up to the rockers. I might regret this later, lol...How much for the skirts? Got any hub caps?

11. caddydave

caddydave

Here is a Cadillac database website that has lots of info and pics of almost every year Cadillac.

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/Cad56-65.htm

and pictures,

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/Phocad56.htm

If the 56 is like the 59 and 60's there should be tag at the base of the widshield under the trailing edge of the hood that will have the model number and trim options. Looking forward to pics DAVE

12. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

Ahh cool, that was interesting. I did notice that this car does have seat belts. I wonder what other options it has, I don't think it had AC though cause I checked but since I'm not real familiar with them I'm not sure. Yeah I'll be sure to post up some pics, thanks for the info
    P.S. Do all the 56 models have the trim piece that hangs over the doors and folds out when you open the door and closes over the door when you close it? I noticed that and thought that was really cool, I know some olds 88's do that too but I just thought it was neat.

13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Pretty good price for a complete Coupe DeVille if it's not rotten.
    Lots of parts on '56 Cads are one year only ... broken pot metal trim is really hard to replace.
    If the original powertrain is going to cost a lot to repair, go 472 - 500 Cad/400 turbo.
    The most common options are PW, PS, Wonder Bar radio, & "Autronic Eye" headlight dimmer.