Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 56 C/Altered Beetle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Algon, Feb 25, 2008.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete

Awesome mate, keep at it. Having owned 17 VW's Im a bit partial to them but nothing like this :) Did you ever see the bettle with the 500 caddy, altho it was rear wheel drive.

http://v8dubs.com/stepone.html

2. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Im glad to see its coming along.
    The long stacks rule so much dude! And if they act like those on side draft carbs
    i bet they can make a ton of diffrence, either good or bad, thats up to you :D !
    but i guess you know way better than poor ol' me....
    Cant wait to see this thing done.

3. Algon

Algon

Slow but sure. I'll post some more stuff as it comes along, thanks again for the interest. The kick in the balls from you guys that it's not done yet helps keep me on it.:D

Bonez, I can't say I know better just that everything has been choosen for a reason. I did have the 347 short block already but it's a custom engine, flowed and specifically built for this car. It could fail certainly but I have more effort in the combination than it probably appears.

4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm happy to see its coming along so nicely!

5. I have to subscribe so I don't lose this one.
    JK

6. chrisclarkcustoms

chrisclarkcustoms
    from las vegas

That is going to be super neat. Do you have a logo or theme for some lettering?
    Hear's one ive been wanting to do. But the bus prices or stupid high.

Attached Files:

7. Algon

Algon

My boy says it needs flames, notice the dirt on the roof ...:D I had more of a solid color in mind but Old Rumble Guts is one my favorites. It will be primered and run before it is painted more than likley but I have sketched out how I'll letter it a few times.

I had some questions about the rear "suspension" so here are a few shots, it is completely solid and the housing is built into the frame. I also went back to using rear drums being I now have spindle mounts on the front. The intake is finally bolted to the engine and I made a brass throttle stop and barrel valve drive to match the original Algon arms. This eliminates the under-over linkage, the standard barrel drive link, and indexes both banks without a seperate bell crank or jackshaft linkage. I got the driveshaft ready to go from Moser balanced cheaper than building one so I'm guilty of buying that and a new Simpson chute.

8. Algon

Algon

Pictures...

Attached Files:

9. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I dont mean to highjack this beautiful thread but Chris dude youre tha man!
    Your art is soo rad, i hope you get to build them all one day!
    This one an the "fenderless" econo are my favs!

Back to Algon programmin now:
    Dude the rear "suspension" really say: i'll kick your butt out and loud!
    ....but i bet no street use is planned! :D

10. Algon

Algon

Headers welded up and the Eelco pressure tank mounted.

Attached Files:

• 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      219.5 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      229.7 KB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      229.7 KB
      Views:
  11. RayMiller

RayMiller

normally i think bug are goofy and lets be honest in general there one step up from a mini truck, but a bug with a box frame, i-beam, and v8 is "tits". i would love to see that thing going down the track twisted out and squirrely as hell.

12. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Both look great!!!!

13. robleticia

robleticia

Holy crap, I never new Bugs were that cool!

14. Algon

Algon

The same stuff on the engine... it needs final detailing still but getting it plumbed and ready to fire is more important right now. I swapped some parts with Dirtbag 13 to get these valve cover spacers, which worked out really well as the casting matches the magnesium like color of the Algon and marine oil pan. Thanks man.

Attached Files:

15. Boones

Boones
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Love the project. The stacks, well they are a little long it seems. (hope they are going to just poke out of the hood and not above the roof.

16. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

I just found this thread, I have always wanted to build a gasser Karman Ghia so I guess us Ohio guys have the Gasser Bug........LOL! Can I ask why your front shocks are so far in the center of the axle? This thing is going to be sick, keep it up!

17. Algon

Algon

Just wanted to say thanks.

Boones, these are the same stacks as in the earlier pictures, not quite through the roof but all eight are through the cowl.

Dave,
    Honestly they are about average in relation to the distance from the king pin centerlines, the axle is just very narrow. I could have triangulated them but it's a straight line only car and a shock is more efficient mounted vertically.

18. Algon

Algon

Just for fun here is where the stacks will sit with the 289 in place, and as compaired in size wheel to wheel with NSH57's 32 though the Beetle is sitting on casters. He saved me alot of time and effort by giving me a hand with the tweaking the cowl sheetmetal and swapping engines. Which gave us room to bring his roadster over for a top before the Jalopy Showdown. We were both short on time and decided to finish what was our mock up template into a temporary skin instead of rushing the finished product.

Attached Files:

19. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

freaking awesome

20. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

That car is TUFF!!!!

21. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

That will be sick! Love this build and your attitude to it.

on a side note, bugs are not goofy or maybe they are but in a good way, and minitrucks if well done have tehir place too, just not this one.
    Red wheels and rat rods also have no place here.

22. Algon

Algon

Thanks guys, the next step is starting the engine. I was still was hoping to dyno it but every time I get the chance (as in the cash and the time at the same time while my freind's shop is slow enough to do it) to spare something seems to happen. This time though rated to 850hp the dyno broke. On top of that he was finally able to sell his home and is now in the process of moving out of state, so it's just alot of bad timing and simply not going to happen. I'm going to fire it in the chassis for now, break it in some and try to get numbers on it later.

I was going to wait until the car was a little farther along but my boy cinched it when he asked "Dad if we have all the parts,why can't we put in the new motor?'' That's as good a reason as any so I figured why not... He's really torn here as his "Uncle's" 32 seems to be his favorite thus far but he's been eyeing the FE I have because he says " when he builds a Beetle it needs to have a big block in it".

Attached Files:

23. Muttley

Muttley

Still waiting for the smokey burnout YouTube video, speed it up, I'm running out of patience. :rolleyes: ;) :D

24. Algon

Algon

^I'm on it boss, I just need some more inspiration (as in my bottle of Beam is running low:D) but the to do list is shrinking.

25. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

26. motorhead711

motorhead711

Way cool project man!!

27. Algon

Algon

Thanks guys

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1389769908011

I still have some seals on the Algon to play with but I tore into this 302 for my 64 Fairlane. Swapping engines in the Beetle doesn't take much time at all so it's a great starting stand if nothing more. I have to finish a few more of my clutch linkage parts and hook up the brakes but a test drive is in the works.

28. Algon

Algon

Before the pulleys powersteering pump and alternator it looks a bit better.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      217.2 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      207.2 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      209.4 KB
      Views:
  29. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

sure you don't need a new daily driver? $1000 puts ya in a clapped out old drag car with a 400sbc....
    :)

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      545.1 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      545.9 KB
      Views:
  30. Algon

Algon

That's playing dirty...:D You know I want that thing.